Kids & ROA in Hong Kong

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by throbbing 18 yrs ago
I am a non Chinese PR of HK & my kids were born in HK. Once they become 21 they loose their ROA and get Right of Landing instead unless they apply for ROA on their own (based on 7 continuous years in HK). Anyone know if they can apply for ROA on their own before they get to 21 ie if 7 & been continuously in HK since birth? Or can they only apply at age 21 (if been in Hk since 14)?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
crj 18 yrs ago
Check with the immigration dept, as it does seem a bit confusing (we read the same material you did).

As far as we can tell (same situation), Right of Landing allows person to live, work and travel unrestricted in HKSAR. The only difference between Right of Landing and Right of Abode, is if you commit a crime and are convicted you can get kicked out if you only have Right of Landing.

If our understanding is correct, there really isn't much of a difference! (unless you are a criminal)

Of course, we could have read it totally wrong?

pennypots 18 yrs ago
Crj - think you have pretty much covered it - other than without ROA they will not be able to vote....

charliee 18 yrs ago
there is also another difference...if you have PR you have to come back to HK at least once a year for you to keep that status. if you have ROA you only have to come back once every 3 years. good to get ROA if they are planning on leaving HK for any period of time

Claire 18 yrs ago
Does it say on their HK birth certificates whether they have PR status?

throbbing 18 yrs ago
yes they have ROA status now but at age 21 they loose it(neither parents Chinese) as it was aquired via the parents. They can apply in their own right but my question is when ie before they are 21 or not?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad