Shipping car from HK to UK: how much?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Glasgow 16 yrs ago
Anyone knows how much this wld cost? Any reputable companies to deal with? Tks, G

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Digital Blonde 16 yrs ago
I am not sure it would be worthwhile unless the car itself has special significance to you., but here is what I found by doing a quick search.

If you wish to bring your car into Hong Kong , there is no import duty. However, if you want to use it in Hong Kong , you have to register and license the vehicle. All motor vehicles for use on the roads of Hong Kong are subject to a First Registration Tax under the Motor Vehicles (First Registration Tax) Ordinance (Cap. 330, Laws of Hong Kong). The tax is administered by the Transport Department on the basis of the published retail price.

Generally when you buy a car in Hong Kong it has already been registered, so the price includes this tax, but if you bring one in from overseas, you have to pay this tax, which is substantial, before you can use it. The tax will be assessed on the purchase price plus insurance and freight fees and any brokerage or agency fee related to the purchase and importation of the parts of the motor vehicle as declared by the importer with reference to the market value of the motor vehicle concerned.

The Schedule of First Registration Tax of Motor Vehicles under the Motor Vehicles (First Registration Tax) Ordinance (Cap. 330, Laws of Hong Kong) is reproduced as follows :

Item

Class of Motor Vehicle

Rate of Tax(%)

1.Private cars -

(a) on the first $150,000

35%

(b) on the next $150,000

65%

(c) on the next $200,000

85%

(d) on the remainder

100%

For further information, enquiries can be made to the

Motor Vehicles Valuation Group of the Customs and Excise Department

11/F, North Point Government Offices,

333 Java Road, North Point, Hong Kong.

Telephone : (852) 2231 4391.

Facsimile : (852) 2598 4975

Hong Kong Licensing Office of the Transport Department

3/F, United Centre, 95 Queensway, Hong Kong.

Telephone : (852) 2804 2637.

Facsimile : (852) 2804 2599.

or contact the transport department for more information

http://www.td.gov.hk/home/index.htm

FKKC 16 yrs ago
From experience, nobody brings their car to HK (at least not too practical) but usually when they return to their homeland, they may shipped the used car they like back. So it's the other way round.

And cars depreciate in Hong Kong badly, so picking up a second hand car is really cheap even if you are only interested in luxury or sports cars. Its so cheap I have a friend who has built a business on buying second hand sports or luxury cars and shipping them to Australia for sale there, and he still makes a tidy sum even after shipping. Unless you are really attached to your car i.e. it has some special significance like its a classic or something, its really not worth bringing it in.

Sorry for that, Spot the donut, I just got of a ten hour flight and am operating on no sleep , I read the initial post wrong my APOLOGIES so sorry. Got no idea how to go about sending a car back from Hong Kong to the UK.

Glasgow 16 yrs ago
Tks IslandHopper. You're right. From HK to UK.

FKKC 16 yrs ago
Apologize for the mistake also as I read your post and DB's comment therefore assumed it was the question and neglect looking at the RED WORDINGS.

Anyway, why don't you check with the shipping companies regarding the costs.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad