Salary for civil engineer?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Thomas888 16 yrs ago
I have recently moved to Hong Kong with my family and I am currently looking for an interesting job. I have no idea what salary I can expect. My wife has a package which covers costs for apartment, school, insurances, trips to home country etc. I basically just need a good salary, maybe added with some pension benefits.

I have a MSc in Civil Engineering with 10 years of professional experience and I am looking for a senior consultant/project manager position at a western consultancy with office in Hong Kong. Of course the salary can vary a lot but if someone could give me a rough idea of how much I can expect it would be much appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
katana 16 yrs ago
Thomas888,

As you state the salary will vary a lot but if its on government projects there are set scales depending on when you graduated, when you became chartered, knowledge of local regs etc. I would imagine a salary of HK$45 to 65K pm and local conditions ie no flights, no housing and maybe 14 days vacation per year. Pension would usually be statutory MPF of maybe $1000 pm paid in so not a big pension usually compared to some countries.

Please note HK has a huge number of highly qualified civil engineers, many of whom work in Macau or China or elsewjhere due to the depressed construction sector (since 1997 the sector has been going down year after year) and these days English, Cantonese and Mandarin are often required but not always.

Thomas888 16 yrs ago
Thanks, katana, for much useful information. I expected the salaries to be a bit higher considering very high costs for housing etc. If someone has some other information please feel free to add to this thread.

katana 16 yrs ago
Thomas888,

As a FYI try this link:

http://www.macdonaldandcompany.com/document_uploaded/currentasiassdoc.pdf

Remember also that almost half of HK people live in government housing and the 'average' HK salary is only around HK$12-13,000 pm. A 'typical' civil engineer may well live in an appartment that is 1,000 sq ft, and valued at perhaps HK$4m, located say in Mei Foo or City One Shatin. Civil engineers in HK are not often 'rich'....

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad