The Number One Site for Professionals and Executives in Hong Kong  | Hong Kong’s Number One Property Site  | Hong Kong's Number One Classifieds Site
Hong Kong
Please select your city
Wednesday, 9/3/2014

Charities to Donate Furniture

POSTED BY Shoe Girl (6 yrs ago)

I have some furniture in reasonably good condition which I would like to donate to a local charity rather than going through the exercise of advertising it for sale, etc. Can anyone please recommend a local charity I can donate it to?

#1 POSTED BY kaileyb (6 yrs ago)

I had this problem earlier in the year. Salvation Army and a lot of other charities won't take donations of furniture. I remember Crossroads will, but unless you can drop off to them, the waiting list for pick up can be up to 6 weeks or more. There was a charity recommended by The Community Advice Bureau (http://www.cab.org.hk/) can't remember the name, just that it began with "R". They were able to come and pick up relatively quickly (within the same week) but they insisted on a sizable cash "donation" (plus you have to pay their tunnel fees from Yuen Long), on top of your furniture and refused to come out unless you agreed. I found that rather distasteful for a charity and told them so. I ended up having to scrap all my furniture. Hope you have better luck.

#2 POSTED BY Shoe Girl (6 yrs ago)

Thank you for your suggestions. I will contact the Citizens Advice Bureau. Thanks, KaileyB.

#3 POSTED BY Taylor12 (6 yrs ago)

Kaileyb the charity is Remar, (www.remarhongkong.com) which funds shelters for socially disadvantaged people. I've donated to them in the past and found them to be really nice people, and they DON'T insist that you give them a donation for the petrol, but only make a request for it. And actually, I think it's fair that they ask for a donation to cover petrol and tunnel fees, personally. They have volunteers that come along and load up the stuff, and they give you a receipt for the donation too.

#4 POSTED BY kaileyb (6 yrs ago)

Taylor12, I'm glad you had a better experience than I did with Remar. However, after my initial email to them, detailing the items I had to donate, along with photographs, I got a very long and snooty email back from them saying how they can't possibly know if they can come to collect my furniture unless I give them a detailed list (WTF?) and telling me that "most people" give a cash donation of "at least $500". I had already offered them a cash donation ($300) and to pay for their tunnel fees in my first email, so to get an email essentially saying my offer was not good enough was offensive. I also thought the furniture (which was all in great condition and valued at several thousand dollars) was a donation in itself.

I've donated furniture and applicances to other charities before when I lived overseas and was never asked for a cash donation as well.

#5 POSTED BY dpsoligo (5 yrs ago)

Remar does INSIST on a cash donation! I had some very nice things that I wanted to donate, well worth several thousands of dollars, and they would drop by for less than $750. Very disgusting indeed!

#6 POSTED BY Yunsong (4 yrs ago)

Remar made an appointment with us to pick up our stuff and when we phoned to ask why no one had shown up, we were told that they couldn't find anyone to come by. When I phoned later, the guy who runs the place lied to me about the discussion he had had with my wife and hung up on me. A VERY dodgy outfit indeed.

You must be logged in to be able to reply. Login now.