Straight razor products in Hong Kong

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Alumni 15 yrs ago
does anyone know where to buy straight razor products like leather Strops, honing stones or even know of a very good honemeister that can sharpen my straights periodically?

would really appreciate any help as it's very difficult to find such shops.

thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
dbg 15 yrs ago
Wing On carries straight razors (in the basement, by the knives), and i think I've seen strops there as well.

Worth checking out?

Alumni 15 yrs ago
thanks very much dbg

who would have ever thought Wing on.

i assume it's wing on everywhere and not just the db wing on?

i call them first anyway

thanks again

axptguy38 15 yrs ago
Note that Wing-On Central (the one in Sheung Wan) is undergoing major renovation downstairs and has a much more limited supply of products than usual.

Alumni 15 yrs ago
thanks bbr, i'll take a look

drm888 15 yrs ago
The barber shop in the Oriental stocks straight razor accoutrements, but they are very expensive and unlikely to have strops and honing stones (because they make money on disposable blades and over-priced bling-monkey crap for idiots with more money than brains).

If you get across to Macau, the Venetian has a shop selling a reasonable selection of Art of Shaving stuff, but again, not much of the non-consumable side. Their pre-shave oils and creams are good and not excessively priced. Don't expect any knowledgeable service - the staff are just there to smile and take orders.

Shaving equipment for the discerning is best bought online (unless you get to the US or London). There are several shaving websites and if you want antique razors (many with strops), you can find them on ebay.

Alumni 15 yrs ago
thanks drm888, i get all my stuff online and it's really efficient especially from Europe as it takes only 4 days for delivery as opposed to the states where it can take as long as 2 weeks.

i was only wondering as i wanted an extra strop to put my paste on so i wanted something cheaper than my go to strop.

you wouldn't know of a good honemeister in hong kong that resharpens straights do you drm888?

drm888 15 yrs ago
I'm not aware of any honemeisters in Asia. We're in the land of 5 blade Gillettes [rolling eyes]

Alumni 15 yrs ago
it's okay, just thought maybe someone knew..

jahvandelaak 10 yrs ago
I can hone straight razors quite well. (Wanchai/Sheungwan) If you really can't find anyone, maybe I can help?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad