Annoying Cold Calls

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by alpha235 14 yrs ago
Hi, Does anybody know if or how we can stop telemarketers from calling. I get these annoying calls all the time and I'm now starting to get them in a daily basis. I've tried searching in the OFTA website but it seems like we can only register for electronic messages.

Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Riceman 14 yrs ago
I've given up. any caller I don't recognise or has no number displayed gets transferred straight to voicemail

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
The issue I have is that my mother has an unlisted number. So when she calls it is "unknown". I have to take the calls. Grrr... Then again as soon as I hear what is obviously a sales pitch in Cantonese I hang up.

lace 14 yrs ago
Same here. I hate, hate, hate those calls - especially when I am traveling and get them while on roaming.

tpol 14 yrs ago
Do what I do, since mobile plans have loads of minutes, let them ramble and ramble but don't listen to it. Stick your phone in your pocket, bag, whatever.

They sometimes ramble on for minutes then realize that no one is listening and you hear this weah, weah, then swear words. hahahaha.

The fewer and fewer sales they get through this channel, they will eventually stop.

So the longer you use their time, the less minutes they have to harass someone else.

alpha235 14 yrs ago
Thanks for your reply. I get lots of overseas calls too so it's kind of hard to screen these. tpol's idea is good. I'll try that next time.

I dont understand why the government doesn't have a Do Not Call Registry for this. Maybe I will reroute my unanswered calls to the OFTA so they will know how annoying it is..

Wiz Bang 14 yrs ago
unless i know who is calling, i let the call go to voicemail. usually they don't leave a voicemail so there !

lace 14 yrs ago
Wiz Bang - I'd love to do that, but when family calls from overseas I have 'unknown caller' on my display.. :-(

Wiz Bang 14 yrs ago
I'd love to do that, but when family calls from overseas I have 'unknown caller' on my display.. :-(

yup - so i tell them to leave a voicemail and i get back to them or ask them to sms me first.

tpol 14 yrs ago
I like that Beerguy, that'll be funny

clausbmortensen 14 yrs ago
This won't fully get rid of the problem but it should (in theory) stop you from getting pre-recorded calls. Register your phone number here:

https://www.dnc.gov.hk/en/pub_general/rd/pub_home_en.html

Detailed instructions can be found here:

http://www.ofta.gov.hk/en/uem/how_to_register.pdf

TLW888 14 yrs ago
this won't stop any time soon - telemarketing is big business in HK with lots of employees, and the government is not going to shut them down. fact, unfortunately.

But maybe there are ways to block certain callers via the network operator? I just contacted mine to find out..

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
This being HK, I suspect the network operators are owned by the same companies that own the cold callers.

kinzie 14 yrs ago
I registered all of my phone numbers with the HK OFTA site and nothing has changed.

TLW888 14 yrs ago
that protects you only against 'automated' calls ... i.e. tape recordings or the computer calls that only test if anyone actually picks up, then saves the number for the calling center agent to follow up.

talllatte 14 yrs ago
Things got so bad with my mobile that I had no choice but to have a 2nd number, a stealth number for my wife only. I was receiving >10 annoying calls a day from 7am up to 10pm on my regular phone so now it is only switched on during office hours. My new stealth number was new and had never been issued. Now 6 months on and I am back to square one with the same amount of calls as on the old number. 101% convinved PCCW sold my details to all and sundry.

What really frustrates me is the foreigner who has been doing the rounds of the press and Backchat recently, he said he is the boss of the scumbag telemarketers training something or other. He keeps touting this statistic that only 2% of people want to opt out of cold calls which justifies this obtrusion into people's lives.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad