Best place to buy diamond rings?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by dudely11 13 yrs ago
Hi everyone,

I've been hearing that HK has the best prices on diamond rings. Does anyone have any recommendations? The shops in central that I went to seemed to be quite expensive as compared to the US.

Thanks in advance!

dudely

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 13 yrs ago
Central is not cheap. ;) You need to over to Tsim Sha Tsui and find a good jeweler.

Try "Premier Jewellery" in the Holiday Inn at 50 Nathan Road. Good service and very decent prices. There are probably cheaper places but I wouldn't venture in without a referral.

dudely11 13 yrs ago
Thanks, Axptguy. I'll check Premier out.

axptguy38 13 yrs ago
Talk to Alex there. Very nice guy.

thompsonp 13 yrs ago
contact vivian@ gaily jewellers (central) small family business for over 40 years. very fair prices and are honest. tell her'ms.thompson'sent you. 2526 0202

lagrue 13 yrs ago
if you can afford to wait, go to the jewelry fairs that happen 3 times a year, the ultimate in election and price (as you can do direct comparisons )

I've also been into Gaily jewelers and the prices there are pretty decent BUT for diamonds without a GIA you need to look very very carefully as there is usually something that caused the stone not to be sold with a certificate.

lagrue 13 yrs ago
One other thing, prices here from my experience do not tend to be cheaper than bluenile.com or jamesallen.com but you can physically see the stone

dudely11 13 yrs ago
Thanks Ms. Thompson and Lagrue! Much appreciated.

190k 13 yrs ago
don't bother with jewellers in hotels etc check out the local jewellers, Chow Tai Fook, Tse Siu Lun, Lok Fook, Chou San Hon etc even sun sun near wing on in Jordan, much better deals and all the certificates are there

lagrue 13 yrs ago
Chow Tai Fook has a pretty hefty mark up, don't know about the rest that 190k listed...my two cents....

&&& 13 yrs ago
HK rental is translating to huge overheads for retailers such as Chow Tai Fook, Gailey. Diamonds are not cheap in HK as it was in the 70's. Better price in NY and Amsterdam, even then in the 70's, for those in the know. UNLESS you buy from known wholesalers.

Yes, Jewellry Fair in Sept, but unless you know someone who knows you're seriously considering purchase, they will give you the "frontal" price, not a realit- based price. Retailers are all claiming they sell at wholesale price.

Whatever you do, buy one with a GIA certificate. But there again you need to know how to know if that's a real deal.

There are real diamond wholesalers in HK, you just have to ask around.

rjsinhk 13 yrs ago
I guess it depends what you are after. Found Blue Nile to be very good value, and they ship to HK.

punya 13 yrs ago
I bought my ring at this wholesaler who was referred by a friend. just pick the size, color, cut etc from your trips to the jewellery stores and send this chap a note. He will show you the ring plus GIA certs etc , you can get it appraised before you buy to be sure. Pm me if you want his contact.

glennwhaven 10 yrs ago
I came across this thread while I am browsing around. It's an old thread here but I just want to name a few recommendations based on my experience. I recently got married and when I proposed to my fiance, I looked everywhere for an ideal diamond ring. I searched Bluenile and James Allen but buying a diamond ring with substantial value online is not safe afterall. Plus, I wanted to have a unique design of my own. I went to more than 20 shops in Hong Kong and finally found Bee's Diamonds in Central where they made customized engagement rings.

Since my fiance wanted an antique vintage type of ring, the designer at Bees very detailedly explained to me the differences of design in the Victorian period, Art Deco, Art Nouveau and finally gave me three drafts of a ring design that combine elements from all these periods. We chose a rose cut diamond at the end, which my wife still proudly wears now. Bee's is really thoughtful and detail-oriented. They are a diamond wholesaler but their service is tantamount to high end stores like Tiffany's and Cartier's. The prices are also very decent, with upselling. The lady who took me in was very helpful and professional, she followed through the whole process and still emails me once every so often to check on how we are doign with the ring. Workmanship is exquisite.

Another place to possibly consider for buying diamonds is perhaps Singapore. They are tax free like Hong Kong and they also offer excellent services. I don't remember the name of this place that I checked out, the owner is the designer himself and he offers pretty good service too. I ended up buying in Hong Kong because I was extremely pleased with the gemmologist's expertise and the designs at Bee's

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad