Shipping costs

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by feigweilo 12 yrs ago
I have just been quoted $32,000 to ship door to door from HK to England using only half a 20 foot container.

This seems quite excessive.

I would welcome any comments and/or recommendations.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 12 yrs ago
http://www.freemovingquotations.com/

gerry101101 12 yrs ago
We're getting a quote from Allied Pickfords this weekend for shipping to Australia; I'll post when I find out their quote for a similar size shipment. Can I ask who the company was that you got the HK$32,000 quote from? It would be useful if anyone else could add recent shipping quotes/paid amounts here so we can all work out who is offering the best deals/service. Cheers

feigweilo 12 yrs ago
The quote was from Baltrans, who seem to get good reviews for their prices, which is a bit scary.

May not look scary compared to Allied Pickfords.

tly 12 yrs ago
hi Gerry101101, we are also currently getting quotes for getting some of our furniture shipped to Australia. We're downsizing. At the moment I got one from Swiftrelo asking $16750. I'm getting another quote from Asian Express on the weekend. Please let me know what you get from Allied. That would be greatly appreciated.

Susie1 12 yrs ago
Have you tried Crown International Removals, they did a move for us, not sure of the figure but it was less than the OP's quote.

gerry101101 12 yrs ago
OK, we now have a quote from Allied Pickfords - Basically it's HK$36,000 for an estimated volume of 380 cubic feet net (as far as I can work out from the world wide googlenet, this is 1/3 to 1/2 of a standard twenty-foot shipping container, but that may not be right. That's for shipment without guaranteed timing. Shipment with more precise timing requirements is quoted at HK$45,000.

So yes, as expected, AP are more expensive than some of the others mentioned in this thread. They've been good to deal with so far, having said that, but of course we're just at the preliminaries. We're going to get other quotes. As always, any other price info from people who've used international movers to/from HK in recent times very welcome. Cheers

gerry101101 12 yrs ago
By the way tly, what volume was your quote for?

Beermoney 12 yrs ago
This doesn't answer your question by a 20 foot container from HK to UK is about 20k. This will give you a understanding on how much they are charging for packing, pickup, delivery and unpacking. A standard 20 foot container holds 1172 CuFt

gerry101101 12 yrs ago
Thanks Beermoney - that's helpful. Waiting on a quote from another company and I'll note that when we have it (in case anyone's in the same position now or in the future - hopefully this will all put them in a better position that we started this process with).

tly 12 yrs ago
Hi Gerry, mine is a bit smaller at 290 cuft. So far the best price I have after getting quotes from Swift, UniGroup, Asian Express is from Relocasia which is $15500. Asian Express had the best price for a local move.

maas-y 12 yrs ago
Hi all,

I am getting quotes from the following companies for our 220cuft of items to be shipped from HK to Germany (in the order of most expensive to, wow, let's use it!):

1) Baltrans

2) Asian Espress

3) Transworld

4) Swiftrelo

5) Relocasia (Writer relocasia)

So far, it looks like Relocasia will be winning the battle, though, Transworld is headquartered in Hamburg, Germany, whilst the rest are going to use UK ports and then, truck-deliver our things to Germany.

I have used www.fidi.com to find out that most of the ones with this certification is the reason why we pay a little more for more reassurance.

Nevertheless, it's still always a gamble.

Good luck all. Any advice is most appreciated.

feigweilo 12 yrs ago
I ended up with Links Moving - $17,310 for 290 cubic feet to UK.

Very easy to deal with.

Ross_A 10 yrs ago
We chose to use Transworld as they were one of the cheapest, we regretted the decision. We took 4 months out while moving from HK to the UK they agreed to ship our stuff to the UK and store it there so it would be ready when we arrived. What actually happened isn't clear, but they appear to have forgotten about the shipment which sat in there HK warehouse for the next 3 months until just before we arrived in the UK when I queried what was happening. Storing it for that long voided the insurance, we eventually got our stuff nearly a month late and after being billed for the extra storage and insurance. I won't be using them again.

PercySewell 10 yrs ago
Hihi, does anyone have any good suggestions for shipping from UK to HK? We are looking to ship 8 boxes?

Cost and reliability are the main priorities rather than speed.

Any advice would be most welcome, thanks

PercySewell 10 yrs ago
Hihi, does anyone have any good suggestions for shipping from UK to HK? We are looking to ship 8 boxes?

Cost and reliability are the main priorities rather than speed.

Any advice would be most welcome, thanks

Singaproe Girl 88 9 yrs ago
I am moving from HK to Malaysia. I have been quoted prices from HK$68,000 - HK$150,000 from various Grade 1 companies. The confusing thing is that some companies have estimated I only need a 40' HQ container, whereas others are claiming I need a 40' High Cube AND a 20' container. In 2010 I shipped my entire goods and chattels, including Chinese antique furniture , an upright piano, 8 chandeliers, etc., from a 3-storey village house, all of which fitted in a 40' HQ container. This cost HK$50K door to door all in, except insurance.

I invariably have significantly less goods in my current 2-storey duplex so I have difficulty in understanding why I should require a 40' HQ AND a 20' container. Am I being taken for a ride here?

Has anyone used Relosmart for international moves? Would appreciate a heads up. Thanks!

Kaliu 8 yrs ago
I am also interested to know the most recent experiences of dealing w transworld. They appear to be the cheapest but what is the quality like?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad