Buying and living in a house boat in HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by stags691 11 yrs ago
Hi,

I have been looking at housing options in Hong Kong and found house boats to be an intersting option.

Has anyone lived in one before??

If so could you give me the plus and minus points please??

Thanks

Dan

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
woods99 11 yrs ago

Where are you living now? What is your occupation?

HKLEV 11 yrs ago
From what I have heard: upside, much more bang for your buck, low density living and often nice club facilities. Downside: boat needs annual maintenance which takes a week or so and you need to move out in the meantime. If you are looking at buying you dont own the mooring and the owner(eg club) can change your mooring place. Also, the boat value can depreciate quickly.

Answede 11 yrs ago
Annual maintenance takes 2 days (one over night) unless you are having extra work done. Many do this during a holiday when they are away already. Price per sq foot is much better but if you are buying, you need to budget an extra 15k per month for fees such as marina fees, club fees, insurance, boat boy etc... If you are letting, all those extra fees are generally included. Expect to pay 50-60K per month to let approx 2100 sq ft or spend 7M to buy.

asiavig 11 yrs ago
Currently living in China, we (a couple of 40 years old) will relocate end of November in Hong Kong. As we plan to buy a sailing boat in a near future, we would like first to experience aboard living during few months.

We would like to rent a sailing boat (around 45 feet) in a marina for 4 or 5 months. If you have any potential solution, please let us know.

Thanks in advance.

JennyTalia 11 yrs ago
I recall reading somewhere that there are two especially joyful days in the ownership of a boat [of almost any sort].

1) When you take possession of the boat.

2) When you finally "off-load" it onto someone else!

To have been written down - then I suppose that there's more than a grain of truth lurking there. .

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad