Reasonable Salary? Apartment Rent? Managing Finances

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by illmatical 10 yrs ago
Hello all.

I've been living in Beijing for the past 7 months, and recently moved to Dongguan.

After my contract ends here, I plan on heading to Hong Kong or Shenzhen.

I've visited Hong Kong several times and I have friends that live there. My biggest problem is the cost of living.

I realize that the cost of living is commensurate with the lifestyle provided by the city, but is it worth it?

Also, what is a reasonable salary for an English teacher?

I've heard as much as 20,000 a month, but that is on the high end. I've looked around and I've seen positions for 15000 per month. Question, how much would I pay for a tiny studio apartment?

My biggest gripe with Hong Kong vs China, is managing my finances. How do the people who are not wealthy make it work for them?

I'm starting to think that Shenzhen would be a better place to go. I have business in Hong Kong, that would require that I visit at least twice a month if I don't move there.

Any advice would help. In addition are there any financial guides for expats, living in HK?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Loyd Grossman is Miss Venezuela 10 yrs ago
Don't want to dissuade you from coming but you would need a work visa - if you are not married to a HK permanent resident. For English teachers, the HK government used to hire native English speakers -- but you need good qualifications and experience as laid down by the government - otherwise, you will be automatically rejected no matter how good you are. Most people manage here on low salaries because they have public housing. If you earn 15,000 with no housing, life will be very miserable. If you really want to come, I would find out what the HK government wants and get those qualifications. Government salaries are about 40,000 I think - but that's a guess.

illmatical 10 yrs ago
I'm a teacher with several years experience. I'll have a work visa so that's not the issue. I'm trying to figure out a salary that makes sense.

illmatical 10 yrs ago
Let me explain, I'm looking at several positions and would not think about moving to Hong Kong without assistance from an employer.

I've scene positions paying 15,000 per month and others starting at 40,000 per month.

I'm a certified teacher and I've taught in countries besides China.

Let's move pass the work visa that I'll obtain with my credentials. I'm trying to gauge what is an acceptable salary in Hong Kong.

All of the forums I've written on, I get more resistance than assistance.

I'll find my own way. Thanks.

illmatical 10 yrs ago
Actually... YOU GUYS are great teachers!

woods99 10 yrs ago

He is a teacher and he has "scene" resistance? Blimey.

illmatical 10 yrs ago
Cara,

Thanks for the clarification. My credentials, if I'm not mistaken are the criteria needed to obtain said visa. This includes: my degree, TESOL certification and experience.

I'll follow your advice and stay clear of the tutorial centers. I'm eying a few international schools and I really want to know what type of salary to expect.

Thanks for the clarification.

punter 10 yrs ago
According to the SCMP 2012 salary index, the range for a school teacher is from 35-50K/month. It does not distinguish local from international school. Try to search the internet for SCMP salary index, and you can see it for yourself.

illmatical 10 yrs ago
Punter,

Thanks for the assistance.

magicturtle 10 yrs ago
omg these people are so overly attached with "credentials" just answer the question!

Okay sir, the cost of living for renting a studio apartment is:

Kowloon side: starts at $3000+

I would suggest living on the Island side such as Lantau Island or Cheung Chau Island which also starts at $3000 but with bigger apartment.

illmatical 10 yrs ago
@magicturtle

Thanks.

I would budget 8,000. Never heard of anything at 3,000.

Are you talking US or HK dollars? By studio, do you mean illegal sub-divided flats?

illmatical 10 yrs ago
Loyd,

The number you provided is closer to what I've been told. In HK dollars of course.

scorpio01 10 yrs ago
"I've scene positions"

"Let's move pass the work visa"

I'm a certified teacher and I've taught in countries besides China.

steveinmidlevels 10 yrs ago
By all accounts, if you aren't a Hk resident and a foreign passport holder you are not entitled to work in Hong Kong. When you first enter Hong Kong you will enter as a visitor with work restrictions imposed.

Cara is absolutely right that you need to secure a job first, then that employer would sponsor you. They are inter-related. Don't assume if you find a job, you can work. Not all employers would do it. If you can find that employer, then your visitor visa would transfer to become a work visa. You need to secure the employment first, but you could find yourself having difficulties. Consider the larger institution / organization / schools such as the English schools foundation (ESF) who do sponsor teachers (as long as you secure the job!!!). Salaries between primary and secondary school teachers are reasonable and available open source to check out on the ESF websites.

illmatical 10 yrs ago
Steve.

Thanks for the response and advice.

Hugie 10 yrs ago
And try an apply outside HK. Imm don't like it if you move here and look for work. But if you have no choice, then just go for it! I work in a local school as an ELTA and do a few hrs extra work after school. Can easily make 35K. Hope it works out for you!

NuinHK 10 yrs ago
I'd keep my kids away from where OP teaches.

Hugie 10 yrs ago
Cara is right! I forgot about the part time after school work! I have been here 18 years so Immg doesn't bother me anymore! Try and get a good salary so you don't need to work after school. Hope it works out!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad