Motorbike/moped/scooter in Hong Kong?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by JJ87 10 yrs ago
Hi.

I'm moving to Hong Kong, where I have never been before, in september and will stay for six months, studying at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. I see the university is quite far from the city, so I was wondering whether or not it is possible to buy/rent a small motorbike/moped or scooter. I have previously lived several years in Vietnam and India where I greatly enjoyed having a motorbike.. But is that possible/recommendable for Hong Kong?

Please share your experiences.

Thanks a lot!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Beermoney 10 yrs ago
JJ87. I don't know any where that will rent them but you can surely buy one and you don't need an HKID card or a HK licence to do so.

You can drive on your valid foreign licence for up to 12 months. Longer than 12 months you need to get a local licence which is a simple conversion process which takes 5 minutes at the counter at the transport department.

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/how_to_apply_for_a_driving_licence/driving_in_hong_kong_for_overseas_driving_licence_/

samsonight 10 yrs ago
You can use your overseas licence so long as it is for a motorcycle. HK is different to some places where a car licence allows you to ride a scooter up to xx cc. In HK, you need a motorcycle licence no matter what the size of the engine. If you own a motorcycle, you also need insurance. It'd be hard to to get insurance without a valid licence. By the way, Racing Max is the first choice for all bikers.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad