London to Hong Kong

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Melograno 10 yrs ago
Hi - I am currently in talks with my company about transferring to HK from London. My current salary equates to ~520k HKD p.a. and it is company policy to transfer employees (particularly at a junior level) on the same salary. Would this be enough to live in HK? I understand that tax is much lower but that rent is higher and I am wondering how much I should negotiate? Any insight and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
mars2012hk 10 yrs ago
Everything taken in account, the cost of life is pretty equivalent.

I am not sure what "junior level" means to you but fresh graduates are paid c. HK$200k pa, if that can give you an idea.

Melograno 10 yrs ago
Thank you very much! That is helpful to know. By junior level, I meant that I have around 3 years experience since graduation. How much would you typically budget for a nice apartment share in Central/HK Island (preferably in a modern type building, very clean etc)? Should I look at any areas in particular? I will be working in Central so I know that getting there is quite easy from a number of places.

SJC2504 10 yrs ago
It strongly depends on which industry you are in- may I ask? Some are paid much higher here than others, with Finance being an obvious.

Apartment share can range from 7k all the way up to 20k. 7k will get you a tiny room in a fairly tiny flat and on the older scale, whereas 18k will probably get you a decent sized room in a very modern, large flat with facilities such as clubhouse and gym in the building. I currently share with a flatmate, paying 10k for a 3 bedroom flat in midlevels, around 800 sq ft, but not as new.

I suggest looking on this same site, under the properties section to get an idea.

If you are working in Central you can look at Midlevels, Soho, Sheung Wan and obviously, Central as well for flats within walking distance. Midlevels is pricier than the other options.

realnoscams 10 yrs ago
Most expats would move out of central after gwtting to know hk better

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad