Apartment fire

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by LB1 15 yrs ago
Hi all... Just moved in to a new apartment a week ago in an old Chinese building and have just realised that the apartment has no fire alarm, extinguisher or fire blanket provided. Is there a legal requirement for the landlord to provide any of these? I assume that the building itself has a fire alarm, but would prefer to have an additional small battery-operated alarm within my apartment as a back-up, as well as an extinguisher to deal with small kitchen fires.

When I looked around the apartment with the estate agent I didn't look for or ask about fire safety provisions because I'm new to HK and assumed that these would be legally required. My mistake! Can I get in touch with my agent and ask for the landlord to provide these or should I buy them myself? Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a cheap battery-operated alarm and small extinguisher.

I know that the chances of a fire in the building are very small, but don't want to assume that in an emergency the building's ageing alarm system would be effective. My school teachers should be proud that years of fire safety lectures seemed to have had an impact on me.

Any advice appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
CF 15 yrs ago
Cheap ($150), small, compact fire extinquishers available in Mongkok - there is a whole street of safety equipment shops, so I guess they would have smoke alarms too. Think it is Reclamation street or one that runs parallel with it?? Someone will confirm this.....

six 15 yrs ago
Also Wing On has all of the above.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad