breaking mobile/broadband contracts when leaving HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by mod_83 19 yrs ago
Hi guys,

I'm residing in HK for another 8 months only. If I sign up to an 18-month broadband/TV contract (paying cash), will I get away with leaving the country next June?

Same question goes for 12-month mobile plans which come with a subsided phone?

We live in a rented flat.

Just don't want my chances of re-entering Hong Kong to be affected, and certainly don't want to be chased up and gunned down back in the UK! =o)

Cheers...

Tom

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Yardie 19 yrs ago
It would be a civil matter and would not normally prevent your return to Hong Kong.

Not paying your tax would is not advisable. Most employers require a tax clearance letter from the IRD before they pay final salary etc.

mod_83 19 yrs ago
Edwina - I don't pay any tax as I earn too little

Jimmylee - Actually, I am too tight to afford any other package, as I work for a charity!

Tax isn't an issue - was just wondering if I could still get an 18-month broadband deal if I'm leaving the province earlier!

Claire 19 yrs ago
Check the contract. In some cases it will mention the penalty due if the contract is cancelled - and that amount is often much, much higher than the remaining monthly payments.

mod_83 19 yrs ago
Well, we wouldn't cancel - we'd just leave HK, and there'd be no credit card on file as we'd pay cash. I'm considering this purely because I'm an NGO worker and genuinely can't afford the pay-and-go broadband deals, which are about quadruple the price.

Cheers for the advice all! =o)

Studio1 19 yrs ago
Edwina 1965 is right. Expats who skip town make the rest of us honest expats suffer with huge deposits for this sort of thing. Please be more thoughtful than that.

mmoriarty 12 yrs ago
Hi Folks, I have just arrived in HK and I will only be here for 14 months and I am looking to take over someones broadband &TV contract, please give me a shout mmoriarty@za.ibm.com - thanks

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad