Best Place to Live in Hong Kong?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by FromGermany 8 yrs ago
Hi everyone,

I'll be relocating to Hong Kong. But this time I'll living there full time. I have a budget of around 15-20k HKD. Was wondering what would be the best places to live with this budget.

Preferably in a more expat place. I don't mind a very simple apartment, as long there is some space. Not a shoebox. Hopefully close to a subway system.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 8 yrs ago
I'd have to say Happy Valley --- it has a bit of a relaxed village feel... a couple of pubs where expats congregate... some decent restaurants...

mars2012hk 8 yrs ago
For 15-20k, you will not get more than 30 sq meter in a "more expat place" and "close to a subway system". I'm not sure you would call that "some space".

I would encourage you to spend some time in a hotel when you arrive and visit different districts. Nobody can tell which place you will like except you. There are some very nice neighbourhoods that are not (yet) full of expats yet very agreeable, cheaper than Central and convenient from a transport perspective. Explore and make up your own mind. Once you've found a district, the rental market is so active here that you should be able to find a flat in a matter of days.

Also, it is usually not a problem not to give a precise destination to movers when you send your stuff from Germany (they will take 5 weeks minimum to reach HK anyway). That lets you some time to find a place before all your personal belongings are delivered to you.

Topol 8 yrs ago
Where you going to work?

FromGermany 8 yrs ago
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for the replies. I did a bit more research, and it seems that happy valley doesn't have a Subway station. I've read that it can be hard to get to?

@MARS2012HK, thanks for the insight.

Are any of you guys familiar with the areas Kennedy Town, Sai Ying Pun, or Sheungwan?
I read from one of those living in Hongkong guides here
https://urbanocular.com/2016/08/23/living-in-hong-kong-2016-edition/ that these areas could be suitable for me, given my budget. It seems to be pretty okay, but the housing prices all vary pretty significantly even in the same area, especially when I compare it to what it says in Sassy HK, this other site I found

there was a post about on that site on where to live as well, but was written last year, so not sure how accurate it is. It mentioned places like: Lau Fau Shan, Lam Tei, Fan Ling. But I can't find much about those locations, any ideas?

@TOPOL, I'll be working in Central

@DURACELLL, I haven't actually looked at those yet, but I'll take a look.

Topol 8 yrs ago
Kennedy Town, Sai Ying Pun, or Sheung Wan are your best bet given budget, work location and being gweilo friendly

cubanelle 8 yrs ago
My flat in Causeway Bay. :) 45 sq meters for $19K right near the MTR entrance in SOGO.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad