Moving to HK in August 2016; advice/guidance please!

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by JP8841 8 yrs ago
Hi all,

I have accepted a position in HK and will be relocating (first time as an expat!) in August 2016.

I will be moving with my long-term partner (unmarried) and (possibly) a small dog.

Any advice or guidance that you have regarding the following questions/points would be greatly received!

1. Accommodation; looking to spend no more than 30k pm on accommodation. Dog friendly would be great. Hoping to be within an hour's commute of Kowloon Bay. I know space is a difficult one to ask for, but would hope for one master bedroom and a small office/wardrobe bedroom. Ideally with gym/pool etc facilities.

2. Transport; if we were to live further away from Kowloon Bay, I would look at a second-hand car. Is this a reasonable idea?

3. Visa for partner; ideally she would like to work, possibly as a part-time tutor. Is it best to apply for a working holiday visa? or for her to secure employment beforehand from the UK?

4. Bank accounts; if my partner is a non-resident, or just in HK on a working holiday visa...can she still open bank accounts in HK?

I think that's everything for now...but any general advice would be amazing!

Best regards,

JP

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
scorpio01 8 yrs ago
1) I think you can get very good accommodation within 30K around Kowloon bay, just run around with property agents and see what they got to offer.

2) Public transport is very good, you probably won't need a car, unless you have a job running around.

3) On a UK passport, she should get 3 months tourist visa on arrival, look for a job in that time and get a working visa, without a proper marriage, no dependent visa for her, also visa runs are frowned upon by immigration.

4) Opening bank accounts is getting more and more difficult, first thing banks usually ask is an address, I am not sure what is the updated status now, but easiest way to show an address in HK is to take a mobile phone connection with the intended address, get the 2-3 months bills delivered to the address and use that, last I checked with standard chartered, they were good with this.

Karin Munkholm 8 yrs ago
She will not be allowed to work part time, as work visas are only given to full time positions. Also will be difficult for her to open a bank account without a registered income, but not impossible. When I moved here, I brought 3 letters (3 months) posted to me on my address in my home country. I also brought in about 100.000 HK$ so they were happy to give me my own account. I do, however think that they would have let me open an account even without the deposit. People keep saying it is impossible, but don't believe the hype. Most things are possible in HK if you do it the right way :o) If your girlfriend is interested in studying she could get a student visa?? That would allow her to stay. On a tourist visa, there is a chance they will stop her from entering after a while.

Karin Munkholm 8 yrs ago
She will most likely NOT be given a working holiday visa. Never heard of anyone who has.

Karin Munkholm 8 yrs ago
Also, your budget sounds reasonable for what you are looking for. Should differently be possible. Is your job in Kowloon Bay close to the MTR line? If so, I wouldn't bother with a car. Our MTR is probably the best system in the entire world, and beats being stuck in traffic :)

Kumokumo 8 yrs ago
Congratulations that you have accepted an Expat offer!

1. I live in LOHAS Park which is the end of the MTR purple line, 7 stops away from Kowloon Bay. We live in LOHAS since we move to Hong Kong since 2013. Our apartment size is 1005 square feet(actual size, not including common area) and we have been paying 20k per month.
The apartment does have swimming pool, spa, sauna, gym, basketball court, badminton court etc.

2. We planned to buy a car initially but we are happy with the MTR and taxi after we settled in Hong Kong. A car park would cost around 3k rental per month.

3. Visa for your partner-If she can not secure a job before the traveler's visa expired (3 months) or her work visa was still pending at Immigration before the traveler's visa expired, she could take a short trip to Macau and return to Hong Kong.

4. Opening an account could be difficult. However, any non-residence of Hong Kong can open an account in HK with 3 moths utility bills as address proof. If she intend to travel to Hong Kong before she move, this could be an option. Once she travelled to Hong Kong and started to receive some utility bills, she could change her account address to her new Hong Kong address.

The following are some useful information of bringing your dog to Hong Kong, I got it from official government department website including dog licensing, imports a dogs and cat forms.

http://www.gov.hk/en/nonresidents/living/pets.htm

http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/quarantine/qua_ie/qua_ie_ipab/qua_ie_ipab_idc/qua_ie_ipab_idc.html

I wish both of you will have a smooth relocation!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad