Where to shop for mattresses?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by EDW 19 yrs ago
Hello,

Is there a more affordable place to buy a good mattress than the Simmons in the Prince's building?

Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Sonnyp 19 yrs ago
try Seahorse at Wan Chai or G.O.D at Causeway

sghkcn 19 yrs ago
I was just shopping for mattresses this morning. I checked out Sogo (Causeway), Wing On (Tai Koo), UNY (City Plaza) and GOD (Causeway).

UNY was the cheapest of the lot and their service was good.

Forget about GOD. Overpriced beds and you are paying for the name. But if you really like GOD designs, there's a shop a few doors away and the prices are about 1/3 below GOD.

Sogo is slightly more expensive (they have to cover rent I suppose) than Wing On / UNY.

All the brand name mattresses (Simmons, Sealy, Slumberland) are pretty fixed and start from about $3K+.

As moonriver said, get Airland (HK brand) if you're on a budget. (although I have to disagree that only the local retailers give 40% off - so does Wing On at the moment.) Airland start from $1K+ and are generally half the price of the brand names.

I also checked out the IKEA mattresses. I found that there was insufficient back support in most of them. IMHO, they would suffice as temporary mattresses, but not for the long term.

I eventually settled for a Sealy at $3.5K.

You think mattresses are expensive? It's the bedframes that will get you. They range from $3K to $12K at Sogo. At UNY, they start from $1K.

sghkcn 19 yrs ago
Yep.

MaryKay 19 yrs ago
I bought mine at Irony on Hollywood Road, I love it, very comfy. Also look at the trades you can get new ones for very little.

Midtwink 11 yrs ago
Moonriver: may i ask, which local stores did you buy your airland mattress?

All these messages are very helpful. Thanks.

I will be moving to hk in mid of dec, will be looking for mattress and divan (is that what it is cAlled, for the based of the mattress?) with good back support. And of course, the cheapest price for the same item.

&&& 11 yrs ago
There are local furniture stores in the residential enclaves.

If you go to say Shaukeiwan or Mongkok, same mattress, different prices (post discounts) due to rental, overhead differences. So, I would take the mtr and go to the one with less rents.

Local furniture stores are mom and pop shops that sell from Dining Rm to Bedroom items.

Pricerite is the most convenient, not sure if they sell Airland. Just ask them.

Have also heard of Ulfenbo too. http://shinway.com/ On their website, there is a page for mattresses. Their prices on general furniture is pretty low. I love their shoecabinets, a must have in HK. Their shoecabinets are so practical, and are also carried in WingOn. Mine did, but costs less at shinway.com.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad