where to get cheap wine??

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by raspberry 15 yrs ago
Anyone know of where to get cheaper wine than the major suppliers in HK? Since the government has axed the wine tax I have found that wines have not really reduced in price? Has anyone else found this to be a problem, and do you know of anywhere that has reduced their prices??

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
alibullock 15 yrs ago
try Margret River on Star street. Their prices have come down and they have a buy one get one half price offer (including delivery as well.) Address: 3 St Francis street 2575 6770

katana 15 yrs ago
I agree with p.mason - PnS or Wellcome have some great wines at great prices, I've never had a reason to go elsewhere. (I too like the South American wines but I also believe some of the Aussie wines are good value - Hardy's Nottage Hill being a personal favourite in the less than HK$100 group).

4G 15 yrs ago
parknshop has got white wine for only 29

Thames 15 yrs ago
However, the HKD29 wine is good for cleaning saucepans, but certainly not for drinking.

4G 15 yrs ago
Thank you Thames for your insight ,as was just wondering how can good wine come so cheap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

christian_moore 15 yrs ago
Bear in mind that wine is like everything else in this world that is cheap. it is cheap for a reason. Most of the cheaper mass produced new world wines have so much rubbish in them that it's a moot point on whether they can be called wine really. They most certainly are not related to the traditional wine making methods

Dive bum 15 yrs ago
Like Raspberry I've struggled to find genuine reductions on wine since the budget changes. My benchmark wine (the only one whose price I could remember) is the ubiquitous Oyster Bay Malborough Sauvignon Blanc. Since early 2007 I was able to get this in (hello) Welcome for HK$129 or HK$119. Post budget, this wine is on sale in Olivers/360 for HK$129 (reduced from $179) and is still up for $129 in Welcome. Does anybody know if the likes of Olivers/360/CitySuper have reduced their prices at all post budget? Have the independents/online sellers (though I tend to buy a bottle or two at a time)? Do you have benchmark wines that 'prove' this to you? I prefer to buy mid-range wine ($150 - $250) rather than cheap but this is still fairly pricey and I'd feel better if I thought I was getting the benefit of the duty removal rather than the store.

raspberry 15 yrs ago
Since I have posted this thread I was emailed a contact 'My Wine Man' (info@mywineman.com) who I have contacted and he has sent me a list of his wines. (there was over 150 to choose from)

They all seem to be good prices, especially for the mid to high priced wines. He does seems to be removing the wine tax, and his prices are based on the relative strength of the HKD exchange , so you also seem to get good prices based on that. I have ordered a case of Oyster Bay (my favourite too) for $105 per bottle, as well as moet ($290 bottle). It also looks like you can save up to $500 dollars a bottle on high price wines (compared to Watsons etc).

I will post back once I receive my order.

nashman1000 15 yrs ago
I just started using My wine guy. And the quality and price available is by far the best I've seen in my time in HK 9 yrs. I have ordered 4 cases so far with no drama. If you want only a few bottles I'd suggest combining an order with 2 or more friends and go from there. Mainly Oz wines but a selection avail from Chile Spain and NZ.

Happy hunting!!

aussiejen 15 yrs ago
My husband has just bought 3 cases of wine from “my wine man” and said the price was a good deal less than the HK retailers. On the bottles we purchased he estimated saving $50 -$150hkd per bottle compared to Watson’s etc. The more expensive the wine the larger the saving. There was a good selection (particularly Australian) and the wine was well packaged for transport and delivered in 7 days.

We are very happy with the service.

DaHKGKid 15 yrs ago
Buy directly from the importer. This way you can purchase wonderful wines in all ranges INEXPENSIVELY. Most wines offered on any retail shelves today are mass produced-mass marketed without the care you should be expecting.

PM me if you want my prime source.

Louiseamanda 15 yrs ago
Welcome/Park and Shop/Taste!

Nice Chilean wine for HKD 39 French wines, as above (and we have become fussy)

You couldnt be in a better place for cheap wine (except France)

DaHKGKid 15 yrs ago
39HKD Wine = Fussy Wine Drinker! Wow, I guess you have managed to do the impossible!

I think that raspberry made it clear he/she wanted to relieve themselves of that in the first place.

raspberry 15 yrs ago
Just realised that I hadn't updated since I received my order...everything turned up fine. However, I have just seen that prices are now lower , so now I can get oyster bay for $99...I had better get drinking so I get order another case! Also noticed Moet for $265 on his site (www.mywineman.com) which is pretty good. I do think this guy is on to something and giving the big guys a run for their money. (sorry Louiseamanda, I don't drink $39 Chilean wines ;) )

Red Cherry 15 yrs ago
What do you think if you could get some wines from Excelsior Hotel, Parklane Hotel, YMCA Hotel, Nikko Hotel, Marco Polo HK Hotel, Lanham Hotel TST, Panda Hotel, Dynasty Club, China Club, Hong Kong Club, HK Jocky Club, HK yacht Club......

with not more than $100 and buy one red get one white.

PM me if you want my prime source.

axptguy38 15 yrs ago
"Roedeberg" at Wellcome for 69 is good value imho. A lot of wines in that price range taste like cr*p.

phil2005 15 yrs ago
Check www.vinotecahk.com...cheap wines there.

kim.constable 15 yrs ago
Check out the new advertisement in the "New Items"

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/classifieds/new-items-for-sale/

Prices from HK 45 to HK 90

That is cheap

nicolei 15 yrs ago
Argento malbeck or cabernet sauvignon ..currently $31 from park n shop ..its fantastic and one of my faves back in UK ..couldnt believ it was available here ..at half the price . notice that someone else also recommends it in this thread so i must be onto something good ..get a box

Noortjedeleeuw 13 yrs ago
Try www.cork.com.hk - they sell great South African wines at very low, wholesale prices!

axptguy38 13 yrs ago
These guys are good: http://www.laithwaiteswine.hk/

Loyd Grossman is Miss Venezuela 13 yrs ago
The Marks & Spencer cheap French plonk is actually not half bad. It's fresh - and although a little bit too acidic - compares favourably with other wines that are twice the price; so they have obviously done their homework. I remember drinking vin de pays when I was 18 (circa 1982) in France. The cheapest stuff then sold for a franc a bottle and, apart from tasting like vinegar, used to stain your teeth purple. However, not all vin de pays is a couple of notches up from paint stripper and, as M&S have shown, with the right knowledge you can get some really good stuff (which won't stain your teeth).

Jeffsee 12 yrs ago
There's a place at TsT they only sell Spanish wines at wholesale price

Which is very cheap I've tried the table wines which they sell for 138 - 198 hkd for 6 bottles

But I now only ORDER their carbernet Sauvignon 2007 the prices a bit higher than the table wines

But it's still cheap , it's like 400 hkd for 6 bottles. I've tried this wine before its a dry bold woody taste , i remember when I was working in china around a year ago I bought this wine too And they sold it to me for 288rmb more than 5 times the cost .

mikebravo 11 yrs ago
I have found this website called redwillowhk.com they seem pretty reasonable. free delivery over HK$1000. Only problem is you need to phone or email them to get the deals.

Good quality Italian reds on there for less then HK$80. My favorite!

Anonymous 8 yrs ago
Harbour Wines is a Hong Kong-based fine wine company. We have strived to stock a variety of high end & budgeted wines from across the globe concentrating in particular on the hard to find wines that any collector should keep in their cellar.

We store wines in a reliable and reputable wine cellar in Hong Kong thus allowing our international customers the freedom to purchase from both countries.

Please don't hesitate to contact us at http://www.harbourwines.com/

oppiz99 8 yrs ago
I've had good experiences with Granda Food and Wines Limited at www.grandafoodwines.com

They have some great quality Italian and French wines for great value too!

They do free delivery for HK$1200 and above to HK and Kowloon.

And they actually have someone who can speak proper English!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad