Getting a HK driver's license

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by spelunkus 11 yrs ago
Hello everyone,

What at the requirements for getting a HK driver's license on a tourist visa?

We want to get one because we have read you can use it to get a Chinese driver's license in the mainland, which will mean you can skip the complicated Chinese driver's license exam.

Does anyone have info about how to get the license, what the requirements are (we'll just be on a tourist visa) how long it usually takes, and so on?

Thanks!

Matt

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
spelunkus 11 yrs ago
Thanks HarliQuin and rex93.

rex93: I have read conflicting info about this. If you look on the td63a form (http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/content_1127/td63a.rev.11.2008_.pdf), it says HKID or Passport.

I've also read that a proof of address within 3 months is required. Do you happen to know any more about this? It's been a bit difficult to find an authoritative source on this.

Also, does anyone have an idea about the turnaround time?

Thanks,

Matt

syip0001 11 yrs ago
For overseas driving licence holders who wish to drive in Hong Kong, driving on strength of their valid overseas driving licence or international driving permit if they are visitors to Hong Kong (visitors mean that they arrive at Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period not exceeding 12 months)

spelunkus 11 yrs ago
syip0001: Yes I know that I qualify in that way. But I am asking if an HKID is required. Thank you.

punter 11 yrs ago
Are you in HK by any chance? If you are, then just drop by one of their processing centers. If not, lookup their phone number and give them a call.

Sapphire 11 yrs ago
The application form for a HK driving license requires you to fill in your HKID number. You are also required to take along with you ......

Hong Kong Identity Card (original and photocopy);

Relevant travel document (e.g. passport) (original and photocopy);

Relevant overseas driving licence (original and photocopy);

An officially certified translation of your overseas driving licence if it is in a language other than English or Chinese;

Other relevant supporting documents (original and photocopy);

Address proof (residential address and correspondence address) issued within the last 3 months (e.g. water/electricity/gas/mobile phone bill or bank correspondence);

My husband and I, our son and daughter, were all required to show our HKID cards when we applied for licenses.

So, in answer to your question, I would say yes, you do need an HKID card ...

If you are still unsure, call the transport department's licensing office on (852) 2804 2636.

spelunkus 11 yrs ago
Sapphire,

Thanks. I will call them. I've read conflicting things. For example, in another forum the poster said specifically that an HKID was not required. And the form here does not seem to require it: http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/common/tdforms/td63a(2011.10)e.pdf

I wonder if you did *not* have an HKID what they would have said.

Thanks,

Matt

Sapphire 11 yrs ago
Well, we originally came to HK with our UK licenses, which you can use for a specified period before you need to apply for a HK license. After that, I assume if you are staying longer term in HK (longer than a visitor's visa allows) for work related reasons, etc., you should have applied for your HKID. So, I guess that's the reason they require one, and why you should have one if you are here longer term ... if you're here short term, on a visitor's visa, you can use your existing license ... if you are staying here longer term, as a resident, you would ultimately need to apply for your HKID ...

I guess, if you did 'not' have an HKID they would probably tell you that you can drive legally on your existing license ... as long as you haven't exceeded the specified period they allow to do that ... then, you would have to apply for your HK license ....

Sorry, I seem to be going around in circles!:-) Best to call them to make sure!lol

SimonRdk 10 yrs ago
Outcome?

&&& 10 yrs ago
Best time to be at HK Transport Dept Admiralty to process the Driver's license is 4pm. Least crowds and the line move 3 times faster as the staff have to finish processing EVERYONE by 5:30pm. Least waiting time, if you have ALL THE documents in hand.

raiprashant 8 yrs ago
i been trying to ask a question in a forum about driving license and i cant get a page where i can write it as a new forum or discussion.Anywayz , hoping i will get a answer from here , i just want to know about driving license in hk. i know how to drive and all, can i just go and apply for the license or i have to go thru..driving classes which i hear is realy expensive and then i haveto pass the classes and then apply.so is it true or can i just go to the place and apply for it ? i tried to call hotline,lets say it more headache then anything coz they always put you in hotline.
thank you in advance

JenKruger 8 yrs ago
1) You need to be legally resident in Hong Kong (work visa/spousal visa/address).
2) You need to be from a country that has a transfer agreement with Hong Kong on driving licences (e.g. Canada).
3) You go to Transport and pay about 1000 HKD and get a 10 year licence.
_ _ _ _ _
If you don't have an HKID then you can't have a DL.
If you come from a country with no transfer agreement, you have to enroll in a driving course in Aberdeen and begin taking the exams set up by the Transport Dept. Could take a very long time and is $$.

scorpio01 8 yrs ago
@jenkruger

i got my driving license on a visitor visa, i am not sure where you got your information from.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad