where to buy a good coffee machine/maker?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by elabrandon 17 yrs ago
does anyone know where I can purchase a decent (about 1000 Watt) coffee maker?

thanks,

elizabeth

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Waneata 17 yrs ago
City'Super in the IFC Mall sells coffee makers. They have one with the brand name Morphy Richards which brews ten cups of coffee in about eight minutes. It has a built in wire filter basket, so no need to search out coffee filters and a two year guarantee. It sells for $238 HK. It is a standard coffee maker. They had some higher end specialty coffee makers as well. I apologize I don't know Watts, but I hope this helps.

elabrandon 17 yrs ago
Thank you very much for the info. I will check it out. Most of the time the the higher end coffee makers have the higher Watts (which means better brewed coffee/hotter water). I will take a look at City Super.

thanks,

Elizabeth

hksoul 17 yrs ago
I am quite happy with my Francis Francis X1.

boblam07 17 yrs ago
I think it will be really hard to find a good auto drip. Only a few are really good, even in the US.

I would check out Braun at Sogo, Wing-On or any large dept/appliance store which I believe will get up to 1,000W. However, I wonder whether the brewing temperature will reach 200F.

If you don't mind, the best way to have good drip is manual pour over. Buy a melitta filter and filter holder + good freshly roasted coffee from either hkcoffee.com or just-java.com and use a hand crank mill (can be had at HK$100+ to 200+, particularly Sogo offers 20% off for most coffee product now) and you'll be on the way to great coffee.

If it's me, I would put the money for auto-drip to the best grinder I could get. In this case, you should try Solis.

sandiexxxx 17 yrs ago
one of the best is the nespresso, available at their store IFC. Would suggest the semi automatic style.

hksoul 17 yrs ago
but with nespresso you are locked into buying their coffee pods for the rest of it's life ..

Wupper 17 yrs ago
And these pods are not only expensive but you also add aluminium foil (i.e. the material from which the pods are made) to your daily garbage that is really not necessary.

If you are looking for an espresso maker, then pls look for one that doesn't use those pods. It's such a waste!

boblam07 17 yrs ago
Um, I thought elabrandon asked about autodrip?

Nespresso is very different from autodrip. It makes an espresso style coffee. The strong point is convenience and looks.

elabrandon 17 yrs ago
Thank you all for the info. From what has been said here, I think I am destined to use the coffee press while in HK. Not a bad option since it makes better coffee than even my beloved Cuisinart I brought from home can (and I can't use it here because it is made for 110 V).

The only problem with making coffee using the coffee press is filtration. The sediment from coffee gets my paper filter stuck immediately and it takes forever to get the rest of the coffee through.

Has anyone used a filter with the press? If so, what kind and where do you get it?

Thanks again,

elizabeth

Wupper 17 yrs ago
When you say coffee press, do you mean the BODUM style coffee makers? If so, than you will always have the problem that some coffee sediment remains. However, if you just wait a couple minutes after pressing, then the sediment is on the bottom of the coffee maker and you can (carefully) pour out the coffee without sediment.

BTW:If your only problem is that your cuisineart coffee maker is running on 110V, why don't you buy a converter? Check with on of those local electric shops that seem to sell everything (there is on on Lyndhurst Terrace down from the escalator). Might be worth it....

elabrandon 17 yrs ago
I know all about those converters, I learned that one that would support my coffee maker (1100W) might actually weigh more than me;-) I thought that the converter I had would me OK, but it is not powerful enough. You'd think that with all the advances in technology you could invent a converter that isn't the size of a fridge.

thanks,

elizabeth

Wupper 17 yrs ago
Thanks for that bit of information. I have to admit that I only know the converters that go the other way around. When I was in Taiwan (running on 110V) I had stacks of stuff with me that was running on 220V. The converters I used were quite small and pushed the voltage from 110V to 220V. I always thought that this would be harder to achieve then merely tuning the voltage down.... But well, what do I know. Not a technician after all.

boblam07 17 yrs ago
I guess the reason your French press filter get stuck is too fine grind size. If you use pre-ground, then that’s the problem. If you ask coffeeshop to ground it, you need to tell them to grind a bit coarser. The best way to solve this problem is to get the decent grinder.

Most people, including me at the beginning, will hesitate to sink HK$1,000 on just grinder but feels OK spending on fancy machine. Like location, location, location in real estate, the grinder is the most important thing in coffee brewing. Try decent burr grinder such as Solis 166, 167 or Rancilio Rocky. In grinder, the more you pay, the better you get. There is no short cut.

I enclose the instruction/tip on French press and manual pour over for your information here.

Enjoy.

How to use press pot

http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/presspot

How to use manual pour over

http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/howtouseapourover

elabrandon 17 yrs ago
hej onemorething,

I needed the 1000W coffee maker, because the others do not reach the water temp high enough to extract all the flavor from coffee. I got one from CIty Super. It's a Morphy Richards and seems ok. the only problem is, I cannot find round, flat bottom paper coffee filters anywhere.

Has anyone seen them?

thanks!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad