Sewing machine teaching class

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ahacha 16 yrs ago
Hello,

I would really like to enroll in a class to learn how to use a sewing machine, as I intend to buy one and think it's preferable to start with learning how to use it.

Would anyone know where I could find such a course?

I live on South Side.

Thank you!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
AimeeJ 16 yrs ago
I've been to one at the YWCA which was really helpful - try their website.

abby78 16 yrs ago
i bought a sewing machine in spotlight, Brother brand...its goes with a very good instruction manual and a DVD, its very easy to learn how to use it. I was a first timer......I bought a cheap fabric to play with and I started to sew bed linens for my kids after 2 days.

momski 15 yrs ago
Hi there, is there anyone who knows where i can take sewing classes. Ive checked YWCA but they dont have this class anymore. thanks

Leanne18 15 yrs ago
Hello,

I am in fashion and I can sew everything well - not just clothing. I actually have time on my hands so if you want a one on one lesson or would like me to help you with a particular project, I would be more than happy to. I have my own domestic machine here so if you wanted it so that I brought mine along as well, that would be ok.

Let me know if you are interested and we can take it from there.

lovetc 15 yrs ago
hi from where u buy can u pls give me the add od shop i m looking for long time

bethm 15 yrs ago
I also want to take a sewing class!! Maybe we can get some more people and start one! let's do it, please!!

matches 15 yrs ago
I'm interested, I don't have a sewing machine but would be willing to get one if we could get a class together.

4G 15 yrs ago
Anyone know where to get sewing machine repaired ?????

Would be grt help

thx

Leanne18 15 yrs ago
4G what kind of machine do you have?

bethm 15 yrs ago
I'm going to get a machine today and some fabric...maybe a pattern and have a go. Let's keep track of the class status, I could use some advice and know-how

4G 15 yrs ago
Leanne 18 I have a singer

Would be grt for someone to come home to see what is problem ,it goes very very slow

Leanne18 15 yrs ago
Hi 4G - I can take a look at it you want. I live on HK Island so if I don't have to catch a cab to get to your place - I don't mind doing this for you.

Sometimes the problems can be something very simple. Let me know if the machine makes a loud chugger chugger sound - it may contribute to the problem - it will mean the engine is thirsty for an oiling. You can call me on 9818 3007 between 10am - 5pm.

People interested in sewing classes - I will give an update later. I am just checking a few things out first.

4G 15 yrs ago
Oh grt Leanne ,I too am on HK island

I will give you a call on mon and we can fix a day

Ill treat u to some freshly baked cupcakes and hot masala tea or coffe in exchange for your kindness,how does that sound !!!!

Leanne18 15 yrs ago
Hey 4G, That sounds so lovely. I look forward to it!

I have 2 meetings on Monday so if I do not answer, pls leave a message/number so I can return your call.

Enjoy your weekend.

mary11 15 yrs ago
Hello, I would like to participate in the sewing lesson. But I do work, so I might need a private lesson on evening or week-end if that would work for any of the other ladies as well would be great. I have a sewing machine (pfaff). Could you pls pm me. Thank you.

Snow Rose 15 yrs ago
Hi Leanne,

I'd like to learn how to use a sewing machine. I've never used one before, but if there's a class at a time when I can go I'll buy a machine and I'd like to bring it and learn how to use it. So far I know how to knit basic items of clothing for myself and my kids, I can also do tapestry and would really like to do simple dress-making / alterations to store bought garments + maybe patchwork items. Pls let us all know or PM me if/when you're going to organise a class. I'm on HK island and available when my boys are in school.

Thanks.

Leanne18 15 yrs ago
Dear all that are interested in sewing classes,

I have trained many in different areas of producing garments and I do enjoy it. You can do anything and you don't need fancy machines. Do not be fooled by the computerized approach - quite often these machines can give you more problems.

I tried to call the YWCA to find about space. They have not called me back so i will follow up today. I will see how feasible or possible it is set something up there for those that prefer a group set up.

Personally, working from someone's home one on one or two is probably the most beneficial, but I can understand that initially most will feel a group is the way to go.

Once I hear from you all by phone will keep a list of who would like what. If you want to meet over coffee and discuss it, that is cool too.

I will post message when I get more details about a place to have a class.

and one more thing.... I'm new to this & I am embarrassed to ask... but what does PM mean? How do I PM someone?

bethm 15 yrs ago
Leanne18

This is great to know that you can lead a class. I want to buy a machine, went the other day and they were soooo expensive! In Canada they are only about 100$ for a basic one. If we have a class do I need to bring one? Perhaps someone knows where I can get one on the cheap?

lovetc 15 yrs ago
hi i also want to learn pls tell me where we can buy cheap one what ever i find it is very expensive

i will join ur class not in evening in morning or afternoon is ok for me when kids rin school

Leanne18 15 yrs ago
Dear all interested in Sewing lessons,

My latest update is that I have called the YMCA and the Helena May for space to set up these classes. There seems to be much red tape and the earliest they led me to believe premises can be confirmed is in 2 months (I certainly think it is a long time). If any of you have any ideas for a location - I can sort out the rest. I am still looking into things and have one more idea to follow up on.

I have my old Elna machine here. I have owned it for over 20 years (god I feel old when I write that).

SO....

bethm - you are more than welcome to use mine for the beginning till you find your feet. I just need to give it a once over.

jwng - yes I can show you how to do those bias finishings (there are several). I can show you how on the machine (completely) and half machine half hand (which can provide a nicer finish at times, as well as work better on particular fabrics). Pls know there are steps that lead to this and sometimes the most important part of sewing pillowcases and bed linen is about cutting correctly and checking the grain line of the fabric.

lovetc - try to post an ad on this site to see if anyone has one to sell. If I come across one I will let you know. You will need to test it first - do not buy one unless you test it - if you get stuck maybe I can help you by testing it for you.

All others looking for machines - so far Spotlight is the only place I know that has domestic machines for sale. HK has been the hub of manufacturing for so many years that when Spotlight opened I was surprised - I did not know of any place that sold domestic machines. I only knew where to get industrial ones.

Today I found a lead for the brand Singer. Pls let me do a bit more research on other domestic brands and I will get back to you all individually (I only just figured out how the PM thing works on this site!).

So pls sit tight and pretty - I am going to find out about the location first and then where to get machines. Once I talk to you all I will see what way we can make everyone happy with a lesson plan that keeps us interested and pleased with the results we make.

I am really looking forward to meeting you all. I hope I can find us premises soon - since this seems to be the major set back.

Leanne

Becky123 15 yrs ago
Hello All!

I have also been looking for a sewing course in Hong Kong, but to no avail! A few months ago I purchased a basic Brothers model from Spotlight (reasonably priced, I thought; if you become a member they notify you when they have 20% sales-I saved $400HKD on mine!) with dreams of all the lovely projects and cool clothing renovations I would do... Needless to say it's been months, and I haven't done much but hem a few pairs of pants!

Leanne, I would be interested in private lessons if you think the class is going to take a while to get up and running.

Rebecca

4G 15 yrs ago
Leanne ,you are AMAZING !!! Thank you so much for taking the trouble to come and touch my sewing machine ,It got blessed ,as if it had been just waiting for you

It was great meeting you and chatting with you

Sorry my fault forgot to take the address and no ,of the sheung wan place you mentioned ,if in future I have any problem

Would be great if you can send me details

Thanks once again and all the very best !!!!

Ladies youll are just going to love Leanne ,ENJOY!!!!

Leanne18 15 yrs ago
4G - you are the sweetest. It was a pleasure to meet you today and thank you so much for all the treats you prepared for my visit!

Here are the details I found for your machine:

SINGER

Shop 3, Ground Fl, Tung Hing Court

88 Queen's Rd West

Sheung Wan

Open 10.30am - 7pm

$100 for delivery service

$220 for a service not including any parts

Be sure to stay in touch and I will definitely contact you if I can think of a place to sell your work. It's all lovely and I hope you make a breakthrough.

Take care,

Leanne x

lovetc 15 yrs ago
hi leanne

did this shop they sell machine then i will go and find if i like some thing i will call u and u can help me to buy

thanks

4G 15 yrs ago
Thx Leanne

Pls do send me your email,on my email id , so we can stay in touch ,would love to keep in touch

GOOD LUCK !!!

sduckwor 15 yrs ago
Dear All,

I recently started a company teaching crafts to children and have found an excellent place to buy sewing machines in Sham Shui Po and they give you a quick lesson in how to use the machine. They are MUCH cheaper than enywhere else in HK, please PM me for details.

As well as teaching children crafts I am starting lessons to teach adults crochet, knitting, lace making and sewing. Again please PM for more information

taurus2006 15 yrs ago
i'm interested in sewing classes. leanne, can you pls keep me on your mailing list if you are having lessons? thanks

Leanne18 15 yrs ago
Hi taurus2006

I think I am going to make a big list over the weekend, then either calling all those that are interested or posting messages to them next week (after Wednesday). Consider yourself on the list.

Speak soon & have a good weekend!

Leanne18 15 yrs ago
Hi taurus2006

I think I am going to make a big list over the weekend, then either calling all those that are interested or posting messages to them next week (after Wednesday). Consider yourself on the list.

Speak soon & have a good weekend!

S67 15 yrs ago
Hi Leanne,

Pls add me to your list too.

Tks.

Clovelly 15 yrs ago
I'd be very keen to join a sewing class if you decide to run one Leanne. I have a machine.

michcmy 15 yrs ago
Hi leane, i would love to join your sewing class too! But my situation is a bit complicated and I'm still living in Singapore right now. could you provide me with your email so that i can email you?

CFWK 15 yrs ago
I everybody, I have space to offer, a degree in fashion design and a passion for sewing. If we can arrange for a time and meet over coffee or something we should be able to put something together.

My studio is in Sheung Wan and would be interested in hosting and perhaps co-teaching (Leanne?) a class. Asking few $ to offset costly rent in gorgeous studio with tons of natural light but all teaching services would be probono.

Kiz27 15 yrs ago
I might be keen too depending on the cost, can you let me know if you do organise something!

mary11 15 yrs ago
Hi CFWK,

I am a working lady, but if the class reealized, I would like to join evening or weekend session. Please let me know ,thanks,

99 15 yrs ago
I am also interested, and would need evenings or weekend sessions as well.

Thanks.

matches 15 yrs ago
Ditto to the above!

Would love to join a group class.

Wiz Bang 15 yrs ago
im interested to join the group class but i have no sewing machine.

SSHK 15 yrs ago
Hi Leanne,

I'm really interested to take sewing lessons. Have classes been set up or would you be willing to give private lessons? If so, how much would you charge per session? Please PM me. Thanks.

MacB 15 yrs ago
Hi

Is there a class available for sewing? My wife is looking to do this ASAP

Any info appreciated.

Thks

uki 15 yrs ago
Hi Leanne

Saw from your previous post that you know where to buy industrial sewing machine. Kindly advise.

And for domestic machine, which brand / model do you recommend?

Tks

timber 15 yrs ago
Hi. If classes are going to be organised, I'm interested. It would actually be for me and my 13-year-old daughter. We have a machine which we can operate, but we don't really know how to put clothes together.

So please add me to your list.

cko 14 yrs ago
any one can help me, to find sewing class in hkg island?ty for ur reply

chomchom 14 yrs ago
Hi cko

I live in DB but I travel all the way to Mong Kok 4 days a week to attend dress-making courses. Why don't you try to make a little bit afford to go to Mong Kok instead of looking for just a class that teaches you how to sew.

For me, the distance doesn't matter as long as I gain good quality of service.

Have a look at the school ad from this website http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/directory/education-culture-religion/self-improvement/8064/its-ltd-fashion-courses/

I have learnt something from my classmates as well. Esp. some of them are designers, how cool!!

sistim 14 yrs ago
http://www.esmdywca.org.hk/Courses/CourseList.aspx?type=subcategory&id=1000074

kosong 14 yrs ago
Hi, I am wondering if the group sewing class is still available? I would like to learn the basics of using a sewing machine to make simple things for my new home, such as coasters, pot rest, etc. Thanks.

mabn957 14 yrs ago
Hello everyone.. I am attending a class in Mongkok for Fashion and Dressmaking course. You can check out the website of this school at www.tuition.com.hk ITs name is ITS Tutorial School. They teach in english and the instructor for sewing is FA. She is very nice and friendly. You should try to enroll there and you will like it. Soon they are moving the Fashion and Dressmaking Class to Central. Happy sewing...!

asa 13 yrs ago
For your information.

Mei Lee Sewing Machine Co.

Mr.Kwong Hoi

G/Fl, 374 Queens Road West Hong Kong.near western district Court.

The owner is about 60 years old, and have alot of second hand machines, very experience. But he does not speak English. I hope the info will be useful to anyone. As i am now taking my wife's machine for repair.

mariavictorialouise 13 yrs ago
hi Leanne18

my daughter will be starting her fashion design course and very much worry that all of her mates will be very good in sewing and she's not. Are you having classes now? I would love you to teach my daughter. Please reply to me asap.

Thanks-whitelily

pkuk 12 yrs ago
Hi, I'm new to this web cos' i'm looking for a sewing class. From the previous messages, i just wonder if 'Leanne' has formed her class(es)?

tks v much, pk

amazingkitkat 12 yrs ago
i'm newbie here.... n looking for a sewing club/class. just wondeing are they still accepting new member? please pm me

bell123 12 yrs ago
Hello! Check out the Sewing Lounge in Mid-Levels...

Piir 8 yrs ago
Hi all I really hard to found private sewing lesson plz can any one help ,,,here my email dkristin45@yahoo.com..... I will like to learning to making patterns..thank u for all of you

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad