Working as a Barista in HK - Advice

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Ruth90 8 yrs ago
Hey, I am from the UK and am currently living and working in Cambodia. At the end of the year I am hoping to move to Hong Kong - I have travelled here a lot and my boyfriend is currently living here already.

I have a big passion for coffee and have worked as a barista in the UK and also have restaurant management experience. I am constantly striving to improve my ability and learn news things, and am always looking to work in an innovative environment and I believe the coffee industry is exactly that.

Currently I am working in a cafe in Cambodia. The owner of the cafe really wants to create something unique so we have been working together to try and improve all aspects of the business. A significant part of my input has been improving the quality of the coffee we serve. This continues to be an extremely worth while experience as I have been able to use it as a platform to improve my skills, knowledge and ideas.

So what I would like to know is... How do I go about getting a job in a speciality coffee shop in Hong Kong. For instance, would it be better if I had an accredited qualification? How much experience is required? And would they offer in-house training?

Also, I would like to know exactly how easy it is to require a visa for a job like this.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Topol 8 yrs ago
The HK coffee culture is a growing business with many small independent operators and a couple of larger ones. The business seems to be maturing with a few of the smaller operators scaling up which will count in your favour especially as you have experience. As with most things you need a certain amount of luck but I think your timing is good as you would be looking for a job in a growing industry that needs experienced people. As for getting a visa you may get employer sponsored or a dependent visa through you b/friend - maybe worth contacting some coffee shops directly.

good luck

Ruth90 8 yrs ago
Thank you!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad