Getting a tattoo

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by BarefootChrissy 19 yrs ago
Hello people,

Wanna get myself a tattoo but not sure where I can find a hygienic studio in HK. Any advice or recommendations? Help appreciated, thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
kaysara 19 yrs ago
The Hairdressers wyndham street very clean etc

Ed 19 yrs ago
Correct - The Hairdressers is the top place to get a tatoo in HK http://www.thehairdressers.com.hk/newsite/index1.htm

Hetfield 19 yrs ago
BFC - I had a couple done in HK by Jo who ran Blue Tongue which has since closed so have no experience of The Hairdressers. My advice to you is decide what you want before you get it done and look at the tattooists books with a fine toothcomb. I have a number of tattoos done in the UK and in HK and spent a long time chosing the right ones for me and the right artists. I have friends in UK who went to 'famous' studios and quite frankly the work they had done was terrible which is why looking at their previous work is so important.

BarefootChrissy 19 yrs ago
kaysara> Will definitely look into "The Hairdressers" but not because Ed is asking me to. Methinks he's only recommending it cuz of commercial reasons, you know.

Hetfield> Hi there. Some very valuable advice you've got there, thanks very much. To be honest with you, I have yet to decide what I'm getting, but I do know I want it on me ankle or my left shoulder. Will definitely do some further research before deciding which tattooist to go to.

You guys rock.

Gustavo 19 yrs ago
My friend got one from Sze http://www.szectattoo.cjb.net/ who also does work for the hairdressers. It was very professionally done. Her shop is in TST.

Monster 19 yrs ago
a friend had some very nice cover work done a while back at the dragon bai body art studio, TST, tel 2311 7815

D-Man 19 yrs ago
Getting a tattoo for the first time can be a nerve racking experience thats why we opperate a very accomading service through The Hairdressers, the studio was formaly know as Primal Piercing and Tattoo which used to be in Lan Kwai Fong. We are also the only Studio in HK that has authentic Autoclave sterilization (hospital Grade). We do work very much with the artist poreviously mentioned, Sze and her wrok is great. Not only that she is a patient and gentle person who takes pride in her work. We will also have a guest tattoo artist from Shanghai coming out to HK very soon. Johnlong is one of the most famous tattoo artists in China and his studio/work has been published in several international magazines. Take your time to find the right design and artist as a tattoo is forever.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible for me to get any unbiased recommendations here - this has turned into an advertising extravaganza!

Biased or not, I do appreciate all suggestions though. Thanks, guys. Keep them coming!

tia 19 yrs ago
What about Ricky and Pinky's? I know people who came here from Japan to get ones there. Are they any good.

D-Man 19 yrs ago
BFC, its not really about self promotions, i am just giving you the best advise i can. The reason i started the tattoo studio 7 years ago was because the quality in HK for tattooing is pretty bad. I have give many consultations to peopel who have their tattoos done else where and i dont mind that either. For me it is a passion and I just want people to be happy with their results.

Sze has her own studio in TST and i recamend her work. There is another studio in CWB with an artist from China who also seems to be good. (opposite times square).

Tia, Ricky and Pinky's are terrible. We have done so many cover up tattoo's from there. They also do not have any sterilization equipment. However if you want a traditional Chinese dragon then they can do it.

tia 19 yrs ago
Really? Wow. Thanks for that. I was thiking of checking them out for my second tattoo, but am now thinking better of it.

I know this may be a broad question, but what is the price of a good Tat? Does it go by the number of colours, how long it takes, size, detail, etc etc?

D-man...where is your shop? I may be paying you a visit...

tia> I was gonna post the same question (regarding prices, etc) but didn't wanna appear stupid so kinda let it go in the end. One of us has to be the dumb one, right? Kidding. *smiles*

I personally am considering just getting a tiny one, not some big-arse dragon on my arm, so I should hope the tattoo won't cost me an arm and a leg. I've also been told that some colors might be more expensive than others...is it true?

Ed 19 yrs ago
D - Man's shop is here http://www.asiaxpat.com.hk/partner/hairdressers/contact.html

D-Man 19 yrs ago
Now to the real questions. OK.

My advise after being into tattoos and the business for a long time, I would not recamend getting a tattoo Too small or where it cant be shown. Reasons, a small tattoo losses detail over time and ends up looking like more of a smudge than a design. In most cases people regret getting a small tat and end up getting another one or making the first one bigger. That does not mean you need a monster tat but if you are going to get one, get a decent one and be done with it.

Prices differ from artist to artist, often it is based on the design time, size and how many colours. You need to realise that an artist will take time to draw and design your tattoo so it is not just the time it takes to put it on your skin. The cost of colours does vary as does the quality so it is not worth going cheap for something that will be on your body for the rest of your life. There are many things you may not see that are included in the price so keep an open mind. Thats not to say you should pay over the top. The places i have recamended I believe are good value as their prices are always consitant. Some places will base their price on the day and how busy they are or how much they need at the time so caution is needed.

tia 19 yrs ago
BFC: I do not feel bad for asking. I know that my first one was $70CDN and done by a very reputable guy back home. Another friend of mine has 6, all done by the same man and his, being of similar size to mine, all cost him WAY more. More detail and more colours were involved as he explained to me, which is why I had to ask if it was the same here.

I have heard if it seems too cheap, then it will probably be a craphouse one. Sorry, but you do get what you pay for.

Dman: Thanks for the advice.

Saint 19 yrs ago
Ok D-man, I got a price of $500 Hong Kong dollars for a 1cm 2 coloured cue ball (pool table). Does that sound reasonable for HK? Or could anyone else comment? Sounded a bit steep to me.

D-Man 19 yrs ago
Saint....there is usually a minimum cost for a tattoo and $500 is about it for any of the more decent places. Do you really want to go cheap for somehting that is forever? Think about it. NZ has a good point.

Saint 19 yrs ago
I don't care if it's a tattoo or a new tyre on my car, I just wouldn't like to be ripped off. Quality always comes into the picture and I know there are some things that you just can't do on the cheap, (tattoo) but the cost usually dominates your final decision unless you have one of those unlimited gold cards! Thanks for the responses and I'll probably see you in there.

Hetfield 19 yrs ago
BFC - go with Crusty and check out Jo's work. Crusty do you have a contact no. for Jo as I'd like to get some more work done?

crusty> Thanks so much for your advice. Would love to come along this Sunday but have a hectic weekend coming up, so will have to pass. Maybe I can check out the end product the next time we catch up (assuming it's not on your, um, intimate body part)

Getting back to the pricing, I'll have to agree with D-Man. If coughing up 500 bucks means I can get a decent tattoo, done by a real pro, in the most hygienic way possible, it's not that bad a deal. A tattoo's for life.

Everyone else> Appreciate all your constructive suggestions.

tia 19 yrs ago
$500 seems reasonable. I was expecting to pay about 3 times that to be honest. I know my first one was a good deal - partly because the artist has done all of my friend's 12 tatoos and because, well, he's a nice guy - despite being named Driller! :)

D-Man 19 yrs ago
I think $500 is more like a minimum for a small tattoo not a large one at all.

Jo can do reasonable work depending on the kind of night she has had before. Check all you options carefully before making the decision. Most artists however will require a deposit before drawing your design, its only reasonable as it take time, skill and efort to do so. If any of you really get a tattoo done it would be great to see the work if a pic can be posted.

Piir 8 yrs ago
Hey guys can u plz let me know where that shop tattoo that around 500 k for small tattoo will great price

Piir 8 yrs ago
Thank a lot shekoally I will trying to do that tomorrow

londongrime 8 yrs ago
Dragon's lair is hands down best place in HK for tattoos
5/floor,83 Wellington street, central

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad