Urgent: How fast to get Motorcycle License

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by slinder 9 yrs ago
How quickly can I get a motorcycle license in HK? I'm going to Colombia mid-July and I need one to rent a motorcycle and drive from Medellin to Bogota. I am an experienced motorcycle rider (just rode a 250cc from Katmandu up into the Himalayas three months ago) but my US motorcycle license expired years ago.

Any help? It's urgent as the info I have seen so far is that it might take A YEAR or more!!!! That's the most insane thing I've ever heard.

I have been here 10 years and have a Resident HKID.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
D-Man 9 yrs ago
Fastest way woiuld be to get your US license renewed then just do a direct transfer. Failing that you will need to go to the HK school of motoriong. If you can not provide any form of licens then you will need to start from sctratch. Apply a learners, pass your test then to the on road exam. This is not a big issue if you can do figure 8's on a hill, if not you would need to practice. Depending on which location you choose it can take 3-6 months for the full course. If you are confident enough you can skip the 20 hours practivce course after getting your L's and just book a test direct. Might be possible to find a private tutor for a few lessons on what is required for the test. Now that said, with all that done you will be issued a P license for 12 months and I am not sure you can get an International license or insurance on a P licesne. Thus, renew your US one is your best option.

Rob Lewis 9 yrs ago
Yep it will take approx a YEAR ...if you fail on the Figure 8 or any part of the test, it will set you back an additional 6 months....there is NO quick way to pass your motorbike test in Hong Kong...its how it is out here I'm afraid.

Once you passed the first part of the test you have to ride on P's for a year without any accidents or penalty points.....then you will receive your full bike licence....so in effect it essentially will take you 2 years here....and no you cannot hire a bike abroad on a probationary licence.

slinder 9 yrs ago
Thanks guys for your responses. I have decided to instead pop by my parents house in the US before my trip where I can do the written and road test in one day! I'll take a couple days in between with a friends bike to get ready for the road test and comfortable with his bike, of course, but it sure beats the ridiculous system here in Hong Kong.

One last note, my friend pointed out that it is so long and complicated in HK because the whole thing is considered a luxury item. Silly... but I guess understandable.

Rob Lewis 9 yrs ago
its so long due to a shortage of examiners.......apparently!

Greene King 9 yrs ago
Back in the distant past a learner in the UK could ride a 250cc or less bike at 17 and all that was needed was an ‘L plate’ and a learner’s license, no test nothing. This was fine when 250cc bikes were around 10hp and maybe max 60mph and traffic was less. (Incidentally the test itself was a simple, the examiner would say turn right, stop, turn around and that was about it after which you could ride any bike, any size). Around 1980 there came to market a whole new load of 250cc bikes that could hit 100mph and accelerate like stink (although most had somewhat suspect handling and generally speaking power curves that had the power come in with a bang) ie Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT250, Kawasaki KH250. Unfortunately many of these bikes ended up crashed with riders maimed or killed; newspapers got hold of the story and pressure was put on the government to act, which it did by bringing in restrictions on power and basically making getting a full license more difficult and time consuming. I would assume that a similar situation occurred here in HK as it did elsewhere (remember HK was still British), perhaps resulting in the licensing situation we now have.
I also believe the perception that motorbikes are generally considered dangerous and those who ride them are often perceived as antisocial troublemakers has not helped encourage authorities to be supportive of motorcycling.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad