Proselytization attempts!

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by marchjos 9 yrs ago
Am facing this weird problem with a group of ladies approaching me frequently (has happened thrice in two months) in the local market with intentions of religious conversion. Have spoken with people around, they typically target ladies of a certain race to which I belong. I can tell one off but it is a new group every time. I of course ignore them, what religion I practice and whether I practice any or not is a very very personal thing, but I don't like this at all.
Is this common in Hong Kong? Can I do something to stop it?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
samsonight 9 yrs ago
Sounds mysterious? Please tell us more.

scorpio01 9 yrs ago
any of the ladies is pretty in the group ?
just asking....

uloc8 9 yrs ago
There are a lot of Jehova's Witnesses and also Mormons in HK. The Mormons are usually college aged and are doing this as their "mission"- they are usually polite and poressional. The JW's are a bit more persistent but I have found them to be polite.
I have been approached when sitting in an eatery staring into space- guess they thot I was in need of comfort.
I simply politely told them I am satisfied with my own religion, thank you- we can chat, but not about religion. They fairly quickly left.
WIth Mormons, they used to stop by my house in my former country- I told them, you can stop here, have lemonade, play my piano, which they did from time to time, and never talked about religion.

Bottom line- if someone is selling something, their time is precious- if you ask them to talk about something other than their product, they will be gone faster than the wind. I use the same technique with financial advisors, who call me every few weeks. I say, send me a monthly email educating me about the market and call me to explain financial terminology. They never call me again.

Hope that helps..

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad