Importing Left Hand Drive car to Hong Kong

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by BenW 11 yrs ago
Hello Fellow Expats,

I am planning to move from Dubai to Hong Kong, and have an Left Hand Drive car which I'd like to import to Hong Kong.

Any advice or contact points on getting an excemption to the no-LHD car rule? My car is a 2012 American Muscle Car, which I cannot buy in Hong Kong and I'd like to keep it as a collectors piece.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
evildeeds 11 yrs ago
You can import it to HK but it cannot be registered for road use. The only exceptions to this are: Military, Construction and Diplomatic. There are no personal LHD registrations allowed in HK.

190k 11 yrs ago
Movement permits for classic cars over a certain age???? but 2012 does not qualify I think is was 20 yrs

evildeeds 11 yrs ago
Posted by Reno93 (20 hrs ago)

[ Message | Report Abuse ]

but you can register a car repair shop and then you can drive it with your T-Plate

No you cannot. Red T plates cannot drive LHD cars anymore, only blue. You must have red to be able to justify and have any chance of getting blue. Even with a garage/repair shop that isn't easy and circumstances under which you may drive a LHD are extremely strict now.

Clancysimmons 11 yrs ago
Evildeeds is spot on !!! forget it, IF you bring it in be prepared you will not be able to move it, even if you want to take it to a track day over the border you will need to tow it to the border...

BenW 11 yrs ago
Thanks for the posts so far.

It sounds like unless it's an exception, it will be very difficult to bring the car over...

woods99 11 yrs ago

You might also like to bear in mind that car parking in Hong Kong is expensive and the spaces are small.

Demby 11 yrs ago
The only occasion that I am aware of where a Left Hand Drive car has been given permission by the HK authorities to be driven on a HK public road is Tesla and their electric LHD Model S, 5 door sedan, which is for assessment / demonstrator purposes, until Right Hand Drive examples start delivery later this year in 2013. That's about the only case that I am aware of where an imported LHD car got a special exemption from the HK GOV.

evildeeds 11 yrs ago
Not strange. They are specific cross border vehicles that are primarily registered in China and then registered with the HK gov for cross border use in the same way HK cars/trucks/coaches are for China use although the requirements are even higher for cars that come this way.

missmybacon 10 yrs ago
man, this sucks. I was hoping to import the new Corvette Stingray to HK. It will be one hell of a car if they let me. Guess this red neck will need to wait till they come out with a right hander.

420weblazeit 9 yrs ago
MissMyBacon, you can do a conversion in the US to RHD. RHD Stingrays are more common that you'd think

evildeeds 9 yrs ago
You can do a conversion to RHD is the US but you would still not be able to bring to Hong Kong for 2 reasons.

1. Cars that have been converted to RHD need to have been registered and used in another RHD country prior to import into Hong Kong, these are usually UK, Australia and New Zealand.

2. Cars imported will need to comply with Euro 5 emissions standards, soon to be Euro 6.

420weblazeit 9 yrs ago
1. No, they don't. Pagani Zondas are imported from Italy, and there are Camaros running around straight from USA. They do NOT have to be registered anywhere before hand, I assure you that.

2. No, they need to be compliant to the standards at time of manufacture. Your American Corvette would meet EU regulations as they're made for California which has even stricter rules. What's more, you can always get an exemption from the requirements

evildeeds 9 yrs ago
Pagani make RHD Zondas from the factory. Please show us a RHD Camaro running around in HK that was converted and come direct from the USA. With full road worthiness test passing and registration on HK roads. Then pop over here and you'll understand why.

You can get an exemption if it is a personal vehicle you have owned in a country you have had residence in. In which case you can bring 1 every five years. You will need to prove residence at the time of ownership which must be over 6 months of ownership. Or you can supply a Euro CoC or Japanese equivalent for an exemption. Otherwise a vehicle will be tested to Euro 5 in which there are differences between US and Europe. CO2 is the biggest with the Euro 5 standard being stricter than US standards. 156g/km in US v 130g/km in Europe.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad