Tax deduction for rent??

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by englishboogiewoogie 8 yrs ago
Hello there,

I rent an apartment and rent out the other room to a friend. He would like the stamp duty papers for his employer, to claim tax I believe.

Since he only pays 40% of the total rent, I was not sure how to go about this.

Me and the landlord split the stamp duty when I rented it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
thelisteningguy 8 yrs ago
Hi,

You probably won't get any tax deduction for this. In fact, the rental income you received from your friend, which equals to 40% of the total rent, is subject to Hong Kong profits tax.

Although it was not a favorable answer, hope I had answered your question!

spurtio 8 yrs ago
Only the person named in the lease can claim rent allowance through their employer. Your friend's employer would not be able to, legally, give rent allowance to your friend based on your lease.
Even a husband cannot claim rent allowance if the lease is signed in his wife's name. It has to be in his own name.

EmmJay 8 yrs ago
@Spurtio : based on your comment "Even a husband cannot claim rent allowance if the lease is signed in his wife's name. It has to be in his own name" can you tell me

if the lease is under both names, husband and wife, then both can claim allowance?

austrider 8 yrs ago
@EMMJAY - each can claim 50% of the rental as allowance, unless further stipulated in the tenancy agreement on the precise split.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad