Bed Rail Advice Needed

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by mummybee1 17 yrs ago
My 16 month old girl is sleeping on a mattress on the floor in our bedroom now but we would like to move her to the "adult" single bed in the spare room. Would like advice on the following:

(1) Which bed rail should we get? We saw ones in Ikea but they are so low and surely an active toddler can manage to climb over it to fall;

(2) Do we get one or two rails? One rail covers part of the bed so wouldn't toddler fall off the unprotected side? My toddler moves and turns 360C while she sleeps she is never in the position we put her at

Do bed rails really work to prevent a young toddler from attempting to get out of bed? A 16-month-old has no concept of falling. Should I keep her on the floor mattress till she is older? If so, what age do they need to get to develop the awareness?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Totty 17 yrs ago
Mummybee - both my little ones had one of their bed sides against the wall and we had a fantastic wooden Evenflo bed rail on the other side. The bed rail was long enough to keep them in but left a gap of about a metre for them to get in and out of. It was very sturdy, lovely to look at (not tacky and cheap) and did a great job.

Most importantly, it kept them in the bed. I have also PM'd you too.

Katetam 17 yrs ago
hi mummybee1, I got the one from O/3 baby. It does the job, I got two. One on each side of the bed. My daughter sleeps in the Ikea bed that can be stretched as she grows. (brown color). She sleeps 360 and upside and down, and flips like crazy during her sleep, no problems since she's 18 months. I like the bed rail with that bed b/c the bed has a raised edge already, and with the bedguard railing from 0/3 baby, it does the job and at the end, there is about half a meter for her to climb out. (but my daughter never figured out she can CLIMB out, until she was well over 24 months. She always just sat up and called for help... funny eh? (now she just waltzes into our bedroom and climbs onto our bed without me noticing sometimes.

ellie55 17 yrs ago
we made ours in act deco.initally,we were worried she doesnt like to sleep alone,now that she has her own bed,she doesnt want to sleep with us!

mummybee1 17 yrs ago
Kate, where to get this 0/3 baby rail? I too have a bed that is raised at the sides and find many of the B2B and mothercare models aren't suitable as they need to be slotted under the mattress.

cd 17 yrs ago
A bed rail isn't to keep them in bed, its to stop slightly older children from falling out of bed. If you want to keep her in bed, you should stick to a cot.

Katetam 17 yrs ago
That's right, the bed rail is meant to just keep the child from rolling off during sleep. Not to keep them inside the bed. Kids figure it pretty fast, that they can get out of the bed by themselves, which in turn is better, b/c they feel they have more "freedom" so, getting my daughter in the "bed" with bed rails had less resistance from her.

Anyways, my bed rail from O/3 baby is also to slot under the mattress, it works fine b/c the part you slot under is quite big, so it 's fine.

O/3 baby is the store. They have one in Ocean Terminal, and one in Citistore in Po Lam's Metro City.

I bought two. one on each side. Now she's three years old, I think I can remove it soon.

gherron 17 yrs ago
Okay here is a cost saving and teaching idea that I used and it worked very well for my child.

I never bought a bed rail but instead taught my child to stay in bed. I pushed the cot against the side of the bed for the first weeks, it works as a bed rail while they get used to the bed. Then if he got out of bed more than a few times I put him back in the cot......which he did not want after tasting some freedom. Then he would have to sleep in the cot for the night.

He only did that twice then after two weeks I move the cot away and he can get in and out of bed easily but knows he needs to stay in bed at bedtime.

He did fall out one time, but we had padding down, surprisingly he didn't hardly wakeup and I just tucked him back in. It was kind of funny.

Never fallen out again.

We started this at 18months.

Not enough room in our place here so may have to just use bedrails for our second.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad