Taxi drivers

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Devon 10 yrs ago
For the past few days I've had take taxis to work and was shocked at how many drivers refused to take me. It took 5 attempts yesterday evening and 2 yesterday morning until one agreed. What the hell's going on??? They must be making too much money. Aren't they obliged to take passengers anywhere (depending on colour of cab)???

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Beer Monster 10 yrs ago
Absolutely concur. Same has been happening to my husband and me, separately and together, for months, and when we often ask about this we're told it's due to shift changes, or it's not worth their time, or any other number of reasons. Talking about long and short journeys. We must need taxis at precisely every shift change of the day or night then...
Typically, this evening a driver at an MTR rank (no queue of punters at that particular time) refused to take me. He didn't even want to know where I was going and there was a heated exchange through the window - me remonstrating as I was entitled to take a red cab (he kept pointing toward the green ones) - until a kind guy came up and tried to mediate. Basically he said the driver was not prepared to take my fare because he did not speak English. I explained that wasn't a problem as I could provide directions for the very easy route, which I can and often do perfectly adequately in basic Cantonese, but the driver didn't want to know and he locked me out of the cab! I was tired and couldn't be arsed to fight about his blatantly illegal refusal (on previous occasions I have sat in cabs until they gave up and drove me to my destination) so I made a big point of taking his number and phoning the (closed) complaints hotline in front of him. I don't get it. He would have seen a small, sober middle-aged woman who for all he knew could have earned him a lucrative fare but he just didn't want to know from the moment he clocked my face.
From personal experience I would say that the previously brilliant HK cab scene has deteriorated big time in the 15 years I've been here.
(And thank you for posting your this thread as it's reminded me to call the complaints hotline tomorrow when it reopens.)

scorpio01 10 yrs ago
keeps happening to me, wonder if it is because i am an Asian Man ?

Whitemischief 10 yrs ago
It quite simple to make a complaint report, was most people have a smart phone simply record the taxi number and submit a complaint, the more complaints, the more likely there will be action taken against this practise.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad