Mainland wife to give birth in HK. What is my best option?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by KLM2308 7 yrs ago
Hello all!

Here's my situation:

- just found out my wife is pregnant and we'd like to give birth in HK.
- we live and work in Beijing.
- I the husband (sponsor) am a dual citizen of HK and Canada
- I hold a HKID (with 3 stars / permanent resident) and HK passport. Also have full Canadian citizenship (and CDN passport)
- my wife is citizen of mainland China, valid passport and "hukou" is registered in Beijing.
- wife doesn't want to lose her Chinese citizenship and "hukou".
- We were married in HK with a marriage certificate and with a notarized lawyer certificate from HK law firm.

There are mixed reviews in this forum regarding the "dependent visa" process.

Some say it's super easy, done in 2-3 weeks. Some are saying they're have so much trouble. I've also read that mainland residents are not even eligible to apply for this Dependent visa!

I'm a little unsure of how to proceed.
So I have the following questions:

1.) Does the "Dependent visa" process require the mainland China resident to present a so-called "exit endorsement form" basically declaring that they "revoke" their Chinese citizenship in order to make this Dependent visa valid? If so, then why is this called a "visa"? Wouldn't this be considered to be the path to becoming an HK citizen?

2.) I've been suggested to try getting granted permission to stay under the "Quality Migrant Scheme". Apparently this way my wife won't have to give up her Chinese citizenship and Beijing "hukou". Is there anybody who's had experience with this?

3.) I've also been suggested that I try and get my wife a Canadian PR status first, and then use that in-turn to get a "dependent visa" or a RTL HKID. Apparently getting PR status in another country helps to get granted a "dependent visa" or RTL HKID? (Canadian PR status takes FOREVER to process... my wife will probably give birth before I get it).

Please help!
Much much thanks!

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad