What's up w/ all the burglaries?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by fushingbayloo 15 yrs ago
Back in the early and mid '90's I never worried about my flat being broken into. By chance, I always lived in a building with caretakers. But I keep hearing stories about friend's being burglarized while they go out for 2 hours to run errands. This is concerning.

What are people doing to protect their homes, particularly tenants, who may not want to invest a ton on permanent fixtures. For those who live in stand-alone buildings without caretakers, like these lovely, old colonials, what are you doing besides perhaps the outside metal security door? Do caretakers really help? I'm not convinced window bars do much as an experienced robber likely has the tools to break through the metal, I would guess. You could put those really thick exterior metal window grates on, but then it's living in a jail.

Appreciate your thoughts on this. I suspect as the economy continues to suffer, people get more desperate and temptation to commit crimes increases.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Riceman 15 yrs ago
If you are worried? then install stainless steel window bars for piece of mind (not aluminum ones). This will certainly make it inconvenient for burglars to break in but it won't stop that someone intent on breaking in by any means (someone could saw through it if necessary but it would take a bit of time).

You could consider installing a wireless Yale alarm system like the HSA6400. I've got a set sitting here and will be installing it in about 4 weeks from now so can't tell you how good it is, but from research it seems quite a good one.

Also have a 24hr CCTV security monitoring sytem installed if you can. This will act as a deterant for any likely thief. I got mine including a nice 15" LCD monitor, 4 channel night vision cameras, 24hrs 7days a week harddrive recorder all for under $10K (of course I installed the system myself for this price). This might not work for you as your landlord might not like pieces of plastic conduit running from the cameras and then into the house as it requires a fair bit of drilling and wiring work.

Good luck.

fushingbayloo 15 yrs ago
Riceman, just googled the Yale system and it does look like it might be a suitable option. Where can I find these systems in HK? Thanks.

squiggles 15 yrs ago
Riceman,

I would also like to know a bit more about the Yale system and where we could get it fitted in hong kong? it seems a much safer/discreet way to do thins than installing bars on windows.

Thanks

Riceman 15 yrs ago
At the moment I don't know where they stock these in Hong Kong.

I got my set off ebay UK and you really do have to look out for these as prices vary from seller to seller (plus one who is willing to have it sent to Hong Kong). For fixed buy items the HSA6400 typically costs about GB£170 to GB£190 (excluding postage & packing - I recall this was about GB£80.00). If you find a set that is bid only, then they should cost about GB£140 to GB£160 per set.

Philly Cheese 15 yrs ago
Put a hockey stick (or a long piece of wood), cut to right size in the rail of sliding doors to prevent forced entry. Talk owner into installing steel security doors in addition to front door. Make sure front door is solid core wood as the hollow ones are easily broken. Get a solid lock. Make sure stairs are well lit.

Thames 15 yrs ago
iKnow, burglars poisoned a neighbor's rottweiler by throwing meat to it in the garden. The dog had been acquired to replace another unfortunate mutt that was knifed (and died) in a previous break-in. Or was it the other way round, I can't remember. Anyway, I'm not holding out much hope of the latest replacement living to retirement age...

DaHKGKid 15 yrs ago
Well, your post heading is a question! And yes you answered it! Get used to it and it getting worse.

funbobby 15 yrs ago
so Riceman, you're saying we've new got 2 weeks to rip you off before the alarm is in?? lol

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad