Moving to Hong Kong - Where to start?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by zoeelizabeth 9 yrs ago
Hi there,

We are possibly moving to Hong Kong for my husband's work in a couple of months. I just have no idea where to start! We have a three year old and a one year old. My main questions are:

- What are the best areas to live? My husband travels monthly at the moment and likes Kowloon but keen for some local input.
- What kind of accommodation should I be looking for/how does the rent work? We would need at least three bedrooms. Our budget for rent is probably equivalent of $1000AUD per week, as that is what our house here will rent out for.
- Is there a preferred site for finding nannies?

Or any other advice you have based on your experiences.

Any help so appreciated.
Thanks
Zoe

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 9 yrs ago
My preference in HK has been to live relatively close to where I work -- I wouldn't be keen to live in say Sai Kung --- and commute to Central

You can find domestic help here - including nannies http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/helpers/

AUD4000 = roughly HKD25,000

To get an idea of what is available in that range try a search here http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/property/apartments-for-rent/ Welcome to the most expensive property market in the world... :(

PatrickJo 9 yrs ago
I think you may also need to apply for water supply, electronic, gas or internet
Just kindly remind as those application take you time to settle, you may apply all of them once you confirmed the rental of apartment.
My friend from UK come to HK a few months ago, he almost took 2-month to settle down all the necessities
Below hotline may help if you plan to apply,
Town Gas: 2880 6988
Water Supply: 2824 5000
Electronic:
(Kowloon, NT)2678 2678 > CLP
(HK Island) 2843 3111 > HK Electric
Internet: 2888-0008 > Netvigator (My friend told me the hotline also serve paid TV or land line)
Hope those info can help, Welcome to HK again : )
You can also PM me if any info needed

Eunicetai 9 yrs ago
If you are still looking for a place, see you would consider living in a village house. My mum has an apartment in a village house in Shatin, looking for reliable expat teachers/professionals to rent(long term). From Shatin to Kowloon Tong is 2 MTR stations, to Central by MTR is less than 1 hour. The apartment has 3 bedrooms, 60 sq., with a nice valley view, fresh air and green surrounding. Think you might like it. Besides, free parking in the village.

There is a ESF(Shatin college) nearby, 10 minutes drive. Also, you can also consider YCIS(Yew Chung International School) in Kwoloon Tong, you can travel from Shatin to Kowloon Tong by MTR.

Rent: $13500/month. 2 year contract(1st year fixed and 2nd year one-month in advance notice before moving)

E-mail me if interested.(tainw@yahoo.com)

mwan1920 9 yrs ago
Congrats on considering the move. I'll ad my limited voice here.

First, it'll be hard to maintain your standard of living that you have in AU. Particularly with your rent budget. for 30,000HKD you honestly won't find a very comfortable place centrally (if you work there) that can accommodate a family of 4. Ugly truth.

A ~1000-1200 sqft 3 br flat centrally will cost you ~40K hkd. This varies greatly but assuming you want somewhere "nicer". Now that's barely big enough for a family of 4. 1400-1600 sqft centrally will go for 50K-80K. If you look farther away you can find cheaper. Tsing Yi, Discovery Bay, Shatin, TaiPo, Ma on shan, etc. Lots of decent neighborhoods. But less "expat"-y.

For childcare you'll definitely want a live in nanny. That is the cheap part around 5000-7000 a month if live in...but you're place need to be big enough to accommodate.

Best source of nannies is word of mouth. Lots of agencies. Good to have a guarantee of a reputable agency since oftentimes things don't work out or worse, get really ugly.

Good luck with the move.

jesssmart 9 yrs ago
Island resort is great!

judoka 9 yrs ago
Without sounding funny - you will live like a peasant on this money without thinking of hefty school fees etc.
Suggest unless you earning 100k HKD + a month as a family then stay in AU.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad