Tax Issue Question

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by punchdrunk 8 yrs ago
I lived in Hong Kong for two years and paid all my taxes. It turns out my ex-wife who made very little money didn't file her last years taxes so they estimated she owed $10,000 HK. I'm going for vacation in Hong Kong and I'm worried I could be stopped at the airport for her tax debts. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what might happen in that situation. the debt is in her name, not mine.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
scorpio01 8 yrs ago
dont think you will be stopped...

mrcynic 8 yrs ago
I think there is something in the Inland Revenue Ordinance that says the husband/wife can be held liable for the partner's tax liabilities, however this was a while ago and may have been amended. I was made aware of this whilst going through a separation and divorce but I called IRD and they assured me they wouldn't chase me for the wife's liabilities.
Your post doesn't give sufficient detail as it's not clear if you worked, divorced and left HK before she didn't file, or if the timings are closer and more intertwined. In the first case I do not think you can be held liable if you were divorced or legally separated before her liability was created; in the latter case it is less sure and worth following up with IRD - they are actually very helpful

latex 8 yrs ago
when you said they estimated that she owed 10K, does it mean the IRD issued you an Estimated Assessment? if yes, don't worry just yet. wait until they issue a court order if your wife insists not to pay.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad