TV in HK HELP!

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by jojojuju 10 yrs ago
Most of these questions will seem pretty dumb to those in the know - but I don't. Please help?

After having lived in one of HK's most beautiful Country Parks for years where there was no local TV reception, I have moved back to "civilisation".

This meant I could get rid of my horrid cable TV

Thinking, no problem, I can always watch Pearl or world... but I can't.

Does this have something to do with them now being digital? Do I need to buy a box? Or is my aerial not working and I need to get a new one?

Any poiunters would be greatly appreciated.

Can anybody also explain other ways of getting "real" channels (BBC, ITV, etc) to a complete idiot?

Thanks you! (Not blonde, btw, just feel like it...)

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Greene King 10 yrs ago
TV in HK is not all digital - not yet! Now planned for switch to all digital in 2015, currently a mix of both. Your analogue TV should still pick up signals if you scan in the UHF bands. Do you get any picture/sound (not white noise but TV sound)? If you do then the issue is lack of antenna gain, nothing at all seems to indicate another problem (you are scanning correctly aren't you?). Do you have any neighbours with TV antennas? Have you asked them what they can receive? By the way in HK different areas have different frequencies for the same channel due to the need to overcome the various hills and valleys. A local (to your area) TV guy should be able to install a TV antenna if it is required, maybe talk to them about the situation? If you live in a flat then ask the building management for assistance.

The easiest way to watch non terrestrial channels is contact one of the service providers such as NOW TV who will let you know if they service your location and if so the cost.

cicbick 10 yrs ago
In terms of getting 'real channels' I would advise you get a fast enough internet service and invest in a decent VPN service (I use VPNACE) so that you can hook your computer up to the TV and stream the channels live from the UK. Also if you have someone who has a Sky account at home you can watch channels such as Skysports on SkyGo.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad