sewing machines in Hong Kong?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bucksfizz 16 yrs ago
I would like to buy a basic sewing machine. Any advice? Where to buy which one is a good one?

I am thinking to use it for family household use/repairs and maybe making some summer dresses if I can work out how!

I have seen the machines in Spotlight. Any good?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 16 yrs ago
You can also try Wing-On. They should have some.

I have absolutely no idea what brands are good. However my mother and mother-in-law both use machines that are at least 50 years old. Lovely steel Huskvarna devices. Built like tanks.

They say that the new ones have a zillion functions, none of which are really useful for 99.9% of people. All they need is straight and zig-zag seams. They do everything from repairs to sewing entire dresses and hats for my daughters. In other words no need to get a really advanced one for the uses you describe.

TTD 16 yrs ago
The machines in spotlight are good - I have the Singer 1108/8280 (actually bought in Aus but they have it in spotlight!) It is one of the cheaper ones but easy to use and reliable! They often have sales so you could get it cheaper or go when they have the 20% off everything day (If you are on their VIP list - free to join in-store/online www.spotlight.hk) you can get advance notice of sales ( I just love a bargain!!)

Thames 16 yrs ago
The Search function seems to be working now, so if I were you I would check out the sewing provisions street in Yau Mei Tai (or is it Mongkok?), that used to get recommended a lot here, before you limit yourself to Spotlight. There have been many threads (Ha! no pun intended) recommending shops selling sewing machines there. If you haven't already visited that area then you should definitely check it out before Spotlight, just so you know you got the best deal.

TTD 16 yrs ago
I think the street you are thinking of is in Sham Shui Po (2 stops after Mong Kok) - I did have a look there too but found many of the machines were industrial type ones or had too many fancy features! There are Singer shops around town(http://www.singer.com.hk/index.do) I actually found the prices to be the pretty much the same as Spotlight!

bucksfizz 16 yrs ago
Thanks so much for all the replies. I just love asiaxpat!

Is there any particular MTR exit at Sham Shui Po? Is that where you would buy material? Or again might you go to good old spotlight for that too?

six 16 yrs ago
Sham Shui Po is much better than Spotlight. There's a map at the station, you can see from there which exit is best if you have an address for the shop you want to go to.

S67 16 yrs ago
can anyone suggest which Singer models would be good for a beginner that have all the basic requirements one would need.

Red_Bean 16 yrs ago
I've just bought a sewing machine from a store on Lai Chi Kok Rd, Prince Edward/SSP (the address is on Janome's and Bernina's websites).

Personally, I love Berninas, but they're more than I wanted to spend, so I went for a Janome (also a very good brand). They had a few basic Janomes ranging from about $2200-$3600, so hopefully that gives you an idea of how they fit with Spotlight, etc.

NB - I think they're open till 6pm Mon-Fri (closed 1-2pm), and 9am-1pm on Sat.

Good luck!

Aaleyahahmad 13 yrs ago
I need a Singer sewing machine... cheap but good in hands. not small

cchouse13 10 yrs ago
hi i would like a bernina sewing machine preferably second hand?

beezeebody 10 yrs ago

Try Ap Liu Street just above the Sham Shui Po MTR exit.
I saw two units (just two days ago).

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad