No fire alarm in flat

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by janegron 16 yrs ago
I have recently rented a sort term based apartment from a Hong Kong resident. After spending the first night in the flat, I noticed I did not see any fire alarm detectors in the forty plus floor.

What is the law on fire alarms in Hong Kong? I believe the owner should provide these but my request has been ignored although I have offered to install and discount from rent.

Am I legally covered to demand installation of said detectors?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Digital Blonde 16 yrs ago
There should be fire alarms in the the common areas of the apartment building, I am pretty certain that is law, meaning they should be present in your lift lobbies on all floors or in the staircase for each floor. That I am pretty sure is law. If you are expecting them to be present actually inside the apartment, I've lived in Hong Kong my entire life and in a number of different apartment blocks and I have never seen one inside the apartment, and I am not a legal expert but I am pretty certain your are not legally responsible to install such detectors, If they are not present in your building common areas, then either management or owners should be responsible for installation.

janegron 16 yrs ago
Thanks Digital blonde:

the query was related to devices inside the flat. I feel that the flat owner should install or allow me to install at a discount of rent but I am not getting an answer which I interpret to be unwillingness to cooperate with a safety issue. I guess the queston is owner legally suppose to comply with installing the device?

Digital Blonde 16 yrs ago
I'm no legal expert but the way I see it, as long as the building does have fire alarms in all common areas it is supposed to, like lift lobbies etc, then I can't see the owner of a particular unit being legally compelled to install fire alarms inside the flat itself. Like I said I have never seen fire alarms inside the flat itself and I have lived in a number of apartments over the years.

janegron 16 yrs ago
Many thanks

cd 16 yrs ago
You can buy smoke detectors in Bumps to Babes for a couple of hundred dollars.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad