Coffee beans - where to buy

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by good-day 16 yrs ago
Hi,

would like to buy coffee beans- not grated- for my fancy machine :-)

But beside Pacific Coffee and of course City Super/Great/Olivers I cannot find any. Does any of you know about either a webpage to order online or a wholesaler to order bulk.

have space to store, so wouldn't mind ordering a bit more in one go.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom ..

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Shoe Girl 16 yrs ago
Hi, I get my coffee beans from a lovely old man in Old Bailey Street. The shop is called Olympia and he will grind them for you if you like or mix different blends together. He is cheaper than Pacific Coffee or Starbucks, his coffee tastes much nicer, and he's been in business for many years, so you're helping a hard working local eke out a living instead of a big multi-national conglomerate.

Feijoa 16 yrs ago
If you do a search on the subject you will find heaps of old posts, including one that I mentioned where I get my beans from - www.lionrockcoffee.com

No doubt one of the easiest and freshest ways to buy coffee in Honkers. The coffee is roasted then posted, with the date of roasting stamped on the label (however, I see that they are away on holiday at the moment) - check out the website, it tells you when the next roast will be done.

foxmulder 16 yrs ago
wow - nice to see so many coffee afficionados. I grind my own and have had difficulty in finding decent beans in HK. I was happily surprised, however, to come across Bon Cafe brand in, of all places, Park n Shop. Very strong, a real morning kick. They also have some beans from UK including Taylors.

boblam07 16 yrs ago
http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/living-in-hong-kong/threads/96067/good-coffee/

This post talks extensively about good coffee and comment on coffee from local roasters.

good-day, I wouldn't store roasted coffee more than 1 month supply, less so if you are espresso drinker. Green coffee can be stored for much longer, ie a year or two. Also, coffee is good within one month after it was roasted for filtered coffee, much less, ie 2 weeks, for espresso.

Enjoy.

Kiwi chick 16 yrs ago
www.lionrockcoffee.com - started buying this a couple of months ago - it's tastes like real coffee rather than the stuff you get from starbucks or pac coffee which is stale half the time

alas9495 16 yrs ago
My opinion is Zambra coffee. The have a full shop in Wan Chai and consign at GREAT. Choose their brand!

talllatte 16 yrs ago
"Good espresso can only be achieved with freshly roasted coffee (no more than 7 days old)"

Who told you that? Utter nonsense.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"Good espresso can only be achieved with freshly roasted coffee (no more than 7 days old)"

I would say that as long as the fresh grind is still vacuum packed you are fine. I am quite the espresso purist but I must say our Nespresso machine makes some of the best I have ever tasted.

Before you knock it, go into the store in IFC (or the demo stands in the CitySupers) and try it for yourself. Magnificent.

boblam07 16 yrs ago
Talllatte, I wouldn't say utter nonsense to onemorething's claims but some may like their beans a bit older but, in most case, within one month after roasting.

axptguy38, Nespresso is an easy/compromise way to have some coffee that tastes close to espresso, IMHO. I like to suggest you try these cafe which are well known among coffee lovers in HK.

1. Crema Coffee at TST East, opposite Royal Garden Hotel.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/australasia/258932

2. Coffeeassembly in Central and Cafe Corridor opposite Time Squares

http://www.coffeeassembly.com

3. Zambra in Wan Chai.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"axptguy38, Nespresso is an easy/compromise way to have some coffee that tastes close to espresso, IMHO."

IMHO it's not close, it's the real thing. I'm not a pro but I have worked as a bartender (=coffee maker) in a hotel in Italy. Nespresso is quite good as espresso goes. I would say that the Nespresso "secret" is consistent quality. No measuring, sealed packages, always a good crema in the cup.

Of course, in the bar I could whip up something as good. But that's not an easy feat with a small home machine with very low number of cups a day. So yes, of course a good cafe will often have excellent espresso, but for home use I find that Nespresso is a good way to get consistently high quality.

"Starbucks has conditioned us into believing that coffee is strong, smokey and bitter"

Indeed. Starbucks, yech... Not only do I hate the taste, the coffee also makes my stomach ache, a sure sign of bad coffee.

"I have a Nespresso machine at home as an emergency back-up. Sure, it tastes quite smooth with a silky mouthfeel, but to me it is not espresso. I would describe it as an enhanced cup of drip coffee."

A cup of drip coffee would hide in shame if it had to be compared with Nespresso. ;)

In the end it is a matter of taste. If you don't like Nespresso, that's fine of course. But if you've never had it do yourself a favor and go to the store or Citysuper for a demo.

BTW thanks for the cafe tips boblam07.

boblam07 16 yrs ago
Thks for your comment, axptguy38.

I did have coffee from Nespresso including its ristretto blend, decaf, and some other regular blends more than one shot of each blend before I came to a conclusion. I also have an access to the machine but never bother to really use it.

"Of course, in the bar I could whip up something as good (as Nespresso, in my understanding from your text).

Sorry but I'm just totally shocked to hear these words if I understand correctly per the bracket. Of course, please try espresso as the cafes I mentioned above for more information.

"But that's not an easy feat with a small home machine with very low number of cups a day."

I think you should try this HK$2,000+ set, Krub XP4020 and Taiwanese made 600N grinder which is around the same price range as Nespresso entry level. Of course, the Krub is the lowly thermoblock based. However, you could have a hand on experience and taste the coffee from this set at hkcoffee.com. The secret is the freshness of the coffee bean which is roasted "per your order" at this roaster. The quality is relatively consistent though not exactly the same all the time as this is a "custom roaster" place.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
boblam07, of course one can get roast to order and grind taking into account the current weather. If done right, the resulting coffee will be excellent. But that illustrates my point. It is much more work than just popping a capsule in. Most people don't have the energy or the know-how to get the roasting and grinding just right, as well as keeping the machine in top condition. Sure, Nespresso may be a slight compromise in quality, but I'm hardly advocating instant coffee.

"Sorry but I'm just totally shocked to hear these words if I understand correctly per the bracket. Of course, please try espresso as the cafes I mentioned above for more information."

It's a matter of taste. ;) Believe me, I've had excellent espresso at many bars in Italy. Heck, I used to spend 1-2 months a year in Italy. I'm the one who usually turns his nose up at what other people call espresso. And I still find Nespresso really good.

We can keep arguing about it but I don't think we would achieve much. ;)

biene 16 yrs ago
I am probably going to get shot down in flames for saying this, but my relatives in Germany - born coffee drinkers swear by keeping their beans in the freezer. I must admit that my husband is the coffee afficionado and he always complains about the coffee from Starbucks and Pacific Coffee - only certain people make the espresso the way it should be made and most other times, it looks and probably tastes like dishwater. We also tried the Nespresso machine, but finally brought our espresso machine over from Aus because the standard of what we were able to get coffee wise was not good - at least then we only have ourselves to blame if the coffee looks and tastes like dishwater and not some untrained 'barrista'.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"I am probably going to get shot down in flames for saying this, but my relatives in Germany - born coffee drinkers swear by keeping their beans in the freezer."

Absolutely not weird. We kept opened tins in the fridge before Nespresso.

Digital Blonde 16 yrs ago
I don't know much about coffee beans, or coffee for that matter as I am a heathen who visits either Pacific or starbucks and thinks what I get is OK (maybe overpriced, but acceptable to me). That being said, I have never been a fan of frozen bread that has had to thaw or even refrigerated bread. Its not totally disgusting, but I would really rather do without or go to the shops and buy a new loaf for the day.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
I find that frozen bread works best for toast or in a pinch heated in the oven. Just plain thawed is not very good.

The problem with Pacific is the uneven quality. You have to make sure those with a clue make your coffee. Cappuccinos especially are a problem, as many heat the milk foam to the point of scalding it.

gyro_3 16 yrs ago
Fresh coffee is certainly best. Yes you can use old beans, much as you can eat old bread, but it just doesn't compare!

http://www.lionrockcoffee.com/comparison.html

Best to grind just before use as coffee stales much faster once ground, very much the same as breadcrumbs would stale faster than a whole loaf of bread.

For those with time on their hands regarding freezing coffee beans...

http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad