Sai Kung - Worried about Burglaries?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Tulip2007 17 yrs ago
Hi, We are moving to Chi Fai Path, Tsai Mong Tai Road in Sai Kung. It is a bit remoter area from the town centre. A few people have told me to be concerned about security of the house as burgularies are common place with illegal immigrants. Don't want to be scaremongering but anyone live in this area that might have insight. Also, is the commute to the Town Centre by bus convenient.... Thanks for the advice!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
dawsonscreek 17 yrs ago
I don't know about that paticular area but a lot of villages in the Sai Kung country park area have been hit with burglaries. I think it also depends on the type of window fittings/doors to the property. If they are easy to saw through/jemmy in a few minutes, then they will break in. And obviously, if you leave any windows open, even if you're on the top floor.

Tulip2007 17 yrs ago
Gosh, that is a real worry. Will have to make sure we have good security. Friend said their uncle had been burgled while he was at home and on more than one occasion! Anyone else had any such nasty experiences. Making me think twice about moving to the area as I have 4 children....

Katetam 17 yrs ago
It's true that recently, I have been hearing more burglaries in Sai Kung/Clearwater Bay area, mainly the village houses and areas with no management, and more remote areas....

I think having a dog is a good idea. Most of my friends in this area now got a dog.....

Tjej 17 yrs ago
I live in Lung Mei in Sai Kung and a couple of months ago the village and surrounding villages were hit with burglaries. However, since then the area has been patrolled by local police. The police officers have even knocked on everyone's door to inform them to be extra cautious and vigilant. Also, we have a very big dog (rottweiler /mastif) but even the police have told me to be careful as these theives bait dogs with posion.

Tulip2007 17 yrs ago
Oh my goodness that is awful. I am worried that this is a bigger issue than I realised. With four children, I am naturally concerned.

Wiz Bang 17 yrs ago
Dogs will probably be an early alarm system, but what is the use of dogs if you're up against a group of burglars. Probably the mainlanders will cook those dogs for a meal too.

Whether you get a dog or not, you may not be living peacefully f you cant open your windows and you have to be jumpy all the time watching out for suspicious characters and worrying about your kids out on the yard

Tjej 17 yrs ago
Is anyone interested in setting up some sort of neighborhood watch program? It would be a good idea if everyone looked out for each other and to report any suspicious activity. I assume the Sai Kung police would get involved.

cd 17 yrs ago
I've lived in the Sai Kung area for 5 years, the last burglary I heard of where we live was 4 years ago, and in all the areas our friends live the last I heard of (one of my friends who was away) was 3 years ago. It really is not an every day occurance. I have a friend in Chi Fai Path, its a nice place.

sinogie2 17 yrs ago
We were burgled twice when we lived in Sai Kung - it only stopped when our neighbour (with whom we shared a patio) got an Alsatian.

I'm afraid we didn't find the police any help whatsoever - there are so many burglaries that they just chuck your report on the pile and give you a number for your insurance company (who were sod all help and paid about 10 cents in the dollar of our claims). After the burglaries we were not shy about calling the police about any people wandering around the village at bizarre hours, and nor were our neighbours. Squeaky wheels etc. Even if it came to nothing (always did), I thought it wasn't a bad thing if mainlanders camped up in the mountains saw that the police often had a look around the village at 4am. They weren't to know it wasn't a routine patrol and that we'd called them because something went bump in the night.

Make sure your house isn't the one that looks easiest to get into - get bars on the window, a big dog (ideally one that stays in the house overnight), cages over any extractor fans or air con units (I have heard of a few people getting done when their air cons were pulled out and the burglars climbed in through the hole). I also had a safe fitted, because I had a few heirlooms that I really couldn't have borne the loss of.

I know it's horrible to feel like you're living in the Pentagon and feels vaguely wrong to transfer the risk to a less paranoid neighbour, but the burglars are really looking for the easiest target in the area, and anything you can do to make sure it's not you will help.

sinogie2 17 yrs ago
Just to add, those standard village house windows are so shoddy they should be illegal - they pop open if you thump them from the outside in the right spot at the right angle, so make sure they have additional key locks.

And if you have bars on your windows, grind the screw heads out with a drill. Friends of mine got burgled and found in the morning that the burglars had popped open the windows and simply unscrewed the security bars that were on the inside of the window.

Don't let the whole burglary issue worry you unduly, it doesn't seem to be like it was in about 2003-05, when every time you walked into the Duke or Wellcome you heard of someone else who had been done. But hassle your landlord to provide every reasonable security device, and you'll sleep easier at night.

sinogie2 17 yrs ago
Oh, and one last thing. After the second burglary we got bolts fitted top and bottom to the stair door, so if the burglars got into the ground floor, at least they couldn't get upstairs to where we were sleeping.

No doubt we were being over-cautious, but it was a long time before I stopped waking up with a start in the middle of the night thinking I'd heard something. It became such a habit I even woke my husband in a panic one night when I heard someone outside the door, only to have him remind me crossly that of course there was someone in the corridor, we were in a bloody hotel and it was probably the next room getting room service.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad