King Size Mattress

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Bluey 14 yrs ago
We've just looked into buying a new Sealy (or Slumberland or Simmons) mattress in HK and it seems they are so much more expensive than in the UK / US!

The mattresses are of course all listed under different names but where as mattresses are between 12,000-22,000 HKD here in HK (at Sogo / Wing On) comparable descriptions from US websites (inc Sealy itself) has Sealy's most expensive hotel quality mattress listed as $800 US. Are we being ripped off here in HK or am I missing something?!!!

I need a new king size mattress to fit a new bed frame that is on order....

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Bluey 14 yrs ago
i wonder if it's worth or possible to order a mattress via internet and get it sent here? Or would delivery costs exceed benefit?

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
That is really very subjective. We paid about HK$70000 for our bed back in the day (in installments, no less) but ten years on I still say it was worth every penny. Don't compromise on the quality of your mattress. You spend 6-8 hours a day on the thing.

Bluey 14 yrs ago
The value of a good mattress I am fully aware of -which is why we are looking at the best mattresses. My problem is paying 3x the amount for the same mattresses being sold abroad e.g. Sealy hotel platinum brand delux - which seems to be HK$22k here but only US$700!

This is what I am having trouble swallowing!

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
I see your point.

cowleyp 14 yrs ago
Costs of goods imported from USA or Europe are generally higher here after tax has been taken into account and by that I mean they may look cheaper but there is no VAT here. Shipping charges from USA are about 15% of cost depending on method and vendors will add profit to that, warehousing is very costly compared to USA as you might imagine. Margins are higher as well! Sellers have learned that foreigners and wealthy Chinese are prepared to overpay for familiar or prestige brands and are happy to oblige.

If you can look at Chinese brands, many of which are made in same OEM factories as the big European and US brands you will be saving lots. Wing On has them side by side take a good look and do a value assessment. We buy Chinese brands but change more often than we would in Europe. Also worth a look is Metropole centre in North Point as well. Sweet dreams

Woofetc 14 yrs ago
I think the whole mentality of "You spend a 1/3 of your life on your mattress blah blah blah" is an excuse to rip you off. I am not denying the value of a good quality mattress - however once you spend more than a certain amount you get into diminishing returns territory, and no-matter how much money you throw at the thing, its not going to get any more comfortable or be any better for your body. Besides - do your really want to keep your mattress for 20 years - I don't!

I bought a Hekura King size pocket spring mattress for 5500 HKD and I am very happy with it - more comfortable and better support than the mattresses I regularly sleep on in major hotel chains.

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
I recommend Hästens. Expensive as all hell but your body will thank you. Yes, I do think there is room for improvement even above 10-20k.

"Besides - do your really want to keep your mattress for 20 years - I don't! "

Actually thirty. And yes.

"they told us to keep sleeping in it until it turns soft -"

What a load of bs... If the springs soften that easily the bed is of poor quality.

Woofetc 14 yrs ago
Why don't I want to keep my mattress for 20 years?:

From http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/dustmites.php

"Beds are a prime habitat (where 1/3 of life occurs). A typical used mattress may have anywhere from 100,000 to 10 million mites inside. (Ten percent of the weight of a two year old pillow can be composed of dead mites and their droppings.) Mites prefer warm, moist surroundings such as the inside of a mattress when someone is on it. A favorite food is dander (both human and animal skin flakes). Humans shed about 1/5 ounce of dander (dead skin) each week. About 80 percent of the material seen floating in a sunbeam is actually skin flakes. Also, bedroom carpeting and household upholstery support high mite populations."

chilled 14 yrs ago
As with anything imported from the West ranging from food to cars prices are at least twice or more here, with the exception of Ikea possibly(but of course their goods are not imported from the West). I would never buy an Ikea mattress though. Once bitten twice shy.

Instead of the big brands like Sealy try Duxiana or V-Springs, more expensive but you will not want anything else after. I use V-Spring. They have shops in Central.

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
Duxiana. Another fine Swedish brand along with Hästens. See, it's not just IKEA. ;)

xuanhan318 13 yrs ago
anyone knows where to get a king-size bed frame? i have got the mattress but need a bed frame for it. I have checked most of the furniture shops here, and didn't find the real king-size(200x190mm) bed frame.

Jay Van 13 yrs ago
Do you mind sharing info about brand / size / price? Was it a firm or soft or medium? I'm in need of some help searching for a new mattress, also looking for king size.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dependable 13 yrs ago
I am now retired & live in British Columbia - I anyone wants me to; I will research cost, shipping etc of mattress in Canada - it pays to shop around ! Regards, Stan

Jay Van 13 yrs ago
Was hoping Telemundo would share his Pricerite mattress info.

liona 13 yrs ago
are anyone here know where can buy a custom-made mattress?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad