Driving school vs independant instructors for obtaining a driving licence

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by zolamola 9 yrs ago
There are already several threads on driving lessons in HK, but I'm wondering which way is better: driving school and independant instructors? Are the driving schools really worth the money?

I would probably save some money if I choose the independant instructor, but I heard it is easier to pass the test with a school. Does anybody know why and how it's easier via a driving school?

Does anyone tried the Kwun Tong Driving School? Do they have good english speaking instructors? Most people talk about the HK School of Motoring in Ap Lei Chau in terms of "good" driving school. How is the Kwun Tong school compared to HKSM (appart from being a bit cheaper)?

And finally, any recommendation on a good independant instructor in Kowloon?

Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
zolamola 9 yrs ago
Thanks for your advice экранопла́н. I also think it would be more useful to learn driving with a manual gearbox. This is what I was planning to do anyway.

My hesitations concerned more wether to choose a driving school (Ap Lei Chau or Kwun Tong, Kwun Tong would be more convenient for me) or an independent intructor. What I understand is that it can be much cheaper to go for the independent instructor and dealing with the paper work yourself, but much harder because they don't have their own test route.

For example I read in another thread that the examiner expect you to park in one go (otherwise you fail the test), which is more difficult in the outside world in the first space that the examiner finds, than in a school's centre where they trained you to park in this exact space with marks on the ground (which I think is a bit cheating, but of course much easier to do it in one go). What I understand is that these schools don't really teach you how to drive, but help you to pass the driving test the easy way for a substantial amount of money. They have these package which include lectures and seminars, which I'm not interested in, as I would rather do that myself.

What I want to know is how much easier it is to go through driving school to get your driving licence, and if it is really harder to do everything by yourself and learn to drive with an independent instructor.

NerineHK 8 yrs ago
I know it's been almost a year, but did which option did you choose? HK School of Motoring or private instructors?

I have to get my drivers license asap but can't seem to find any relevant info on HK School of Motoring around me. Most people I heard of who went the private school / instructor route failed the practical exam on their first try. They were also learning on an automatic car where I'm more interested in learning on a manual one.

zolamola 8 yrs ago
I am doing it by myself and chose the private instructor. I'm doing it this way because I already had driving lessons before and thought I would not need too many additional lesons.

But if you start from the begining, I think it's worth joining a school (not that expensive if you take the whole package, part of the practical test (part B) is within the school's own platform which make it easier to pass because it's where they train you, and I the cars are probably in a better condition).

I passed the written test in october and the driving test date is almost one year after that on Kowloon side. So I'm still waiting to take the driving test, and I also still have to look for an instructor... If you choose to pass the exam on HK island, the waiting time is a lot shorter.

I heard the fastest way to get the driving license is via HK School of Motoring in Ap Lei Chau. The waiting list for their exam route is shorter, but they are a bit more expensive (than the Kwun Tong school for example).

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad