Dependant Visa

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Hannah0889 8 yrs ago
Could any one tell me whether I'd be able to get a Dependants Visa - we are both British and my partner would have a work visa, but we are unmarried - although together nearly 9 years and have a child together. Or do we need to be married? Any advice greatly received, thank you.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Clementinalaan 8 yrs ago
Hello Hannah,

As far as I know you need to be married to get the dependent visa but, as you have a child together, I am not 100% sure. Do not hesitate to contact Immigration Office in HK, the phone customer service is really good and you don't have to provide any name.
I called couple of times and I always got a fast and complete answer.

Regards!

mars2012hk 8 yrs ago
You need to be married.

scorpio01 8 yrs ago
@shekoally, stop cyberstalking..

@hannah.. 9 years and a child together.. still haven't made your mind?

Hannah0889 8 yrs ago
Thank you for everyone's helpful information, it was what I expected but will give them a call to check anyway.

@scorpio01 - unsure why this is an issue for you.

scorpio01 8 yrs ago
it's not an issue at all if you are ok in being tested for 9 years

but remember who needs the visa now and cant get it because the testing phase got a little too long?

watermelon101 8 yrs ago
Just wanted to provide a little bit more information. You cant get a dependent visa if you are not married. Even if you ask the immigration agents for help, they will just tell you to do a Prolonged Visitor Visa. With this visa, you can stay up to 180 days in HK and you will need to extend it at the immigrations before it expires. You dont need to leave HK when you extend it. TBH, this visa is no different to a normal visitor visa. With British passports, you can stay in HK as visitor for 180 days. The only difference is probably you will need to leave HK if you are holding a normal visitor visa after 180days.

scorpio01 8 yrs ago
and stay like that on Visitor visa with no legal status forever...

Hannah0889 8 yrs ago
I am of course happy to get married - we've been together long enough it doesn't change anything within our relationship, once you have had children spending money on a wedding isn't at the forefront of some people's mind. And yes I would like to work when we are there, and don't want to go through loop holes back and forth to Macau so I think we may well get married. Again, thank you for the helpful information everyone has provided.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad