which cow's milk do you buy?

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by kilwinning 16 yrs ago
Hi there,

I have a 16 mth old who has been drinking master's pura milk. She loves it, but it's expensive compared to the other milks. I started her on this because I wasn't sure if the other milks in the store are really 100% milk (vs. milk drink). Saying that, I was wondering which ones you buy- kowloon dairy, trappist, etc.?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
I buy Pura as well - mainly bacause, I believe it is the only non-chinese milk you can buy at reasonable price (you can get organic, etc but they cost a fortune - i started off buy it but stopped - far too much money). Pura is australian and in australia growth hormone for annimals is banned (not in US and am not sure about China). Anway, I have much more trust in Australian milk than in Chinese, so am sticking with it whatever the cost....

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
Pura here too. If nothing else it tastes better than the Chinese ones I have tasted.

"I started her on this because I wasn't sure if the other milks in the store are really 100% milk (vs. milk drink). "

The "whole fat" ones are 100% milk. The "Milk Drink" ones are milk and water, which is terrible way of pretending to make skim milk.

Sashimi Girl 16 yrs ago
on the subject of milk - make the switch at 1 year old? i was thinking pura too. but does cow's milk have all the vitamins and minerals that a growing-up formula could provide?

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
1 year old is fine. The minerals and vitamins depends on the rest of the diet as well. Does your baby eat a balanced diet of vegetables, fruit, carbs, fish and meat? If so, it shouldn't be a problem. We do also add a children's multivitamin.

flowers-daffodil 16 yrs ago
kilwinning -

my daughter doesnt like cow's milk very much but i do give her pura whole milk because i trust the australian brand more than the local ones. i think the local ones taste "diluted" and i have had milk from kowloon dairy before which tasted bad so you should have a taste before you give it to your child.

axptuguy38 -

where do you get your multivitamin, can i give it to my 19month old girl?

actually, you commented on a thread i started before about trying to get my daughter to drink cow's milk. i try to give my daughter cow's milk (pura whole) once a day and the other 2 feeds is formula (in a bottle and teat, she just wont drink milk/formula from cup and straw!). I would like to stop formula feeds at 2 years but i just cant get my daughter to like to drink cow's milk so i'm worried that if i stop the formula she wont get enough calcium and not enough water intake (she doesnt like yoghurt but she will eat cheese but i wonder how much cheese can she eat in one day which will be equivalent to 16oz milk work of calcium!?)

right now, i'm trying to get her to have her milk in a bottle with a teat but i also attach a straw which allows her to drink sitting up (the straw fits in the chuchu brand of bottle). you see i'm trying to "fool" her into thinking that she's drinking milk via a straw cos she refuses to drink formula or milk in a cup. i also tried pouring the milk from the bottle into the cup in front of her so that she knows its the same milk and nothing else but she just refuses to drink from the cup!

from your knowledge and experiecne, can you tell me how much milk i should be giving her a day? she has between 10-18oz a day (2-3 feeds) most times she eats ok at meals, mainly rice and noodles with meat or fish or tofu and veggies (green ones mainly), i also give her cheese pastas and she has fruits 2-3x per day.

thanx for any advice

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"where do you get your multivitamin, can i give it to my 19month old girl?"

Sure you can. Both our kids have had vitamins from 3 months. Started with Tri-Vi-Sol (only A and D), then Poly-Vi-Sol until 2 years. After that good old Flintstones tablets.

Haven't found Poly-Vi-Sol here but I found several at Bumps to Babes. Watson's also has a few. Just be careful to give the exact age appropriate dosage. Too much is bad.

"actually, you commented on a thread i started before about trying to get my daughter to drink cow's milk. i try to give my daughter cow's milk (pura whole) once a day and the other 2 feeds is formula (in a bottle and teat, she just wont drink milk/formula from cup and straw!). I would like to stop formula feeds at 2 years but i just cant get my daughter to like to drink cow's milk so i'm worried that if i stop the formula she wont get enough calcium and not enough water intake (she doesnt like yoghurt but she will eat cheese but i wonder how much cheese can she eat in one day which will be equivalent to 16oz milk work of calcium!?)"

Try warm, cold, lukewarm. By now our #1 will often state her preference. Probably based on some advanced internal formula. ;)

Also try different yogurts. The French ones (Yoplait, Petit Filous, Petit Miam) are favorites, as well as Yo'Baby.

You can also take a break for a couple of weeks from milk and see what happens. A lot can happen in 2 weeks for a baby that age.

"from your knowledge and experiecne, can you tell me how much milk i should be giving her a day? she has between 10-18oz a day (2-3 feeds) most times she eats ok at meals, mainly rice and noodles with meat or fish or tofu and veggies (green ones mainly), i also give her cheese pastas and she has fruits 2-3x per day."

As I understand it, 18+ of dairy a day is good but in reality that may be quite hard. However kids do "know a lot about nutrition". As long as you present her with healthy and varied foods, she'll eat more or less what she needs. You may have to give her milk and such when she is really hungry and not show any other food until she is done or almost done with her serving. There's no need to worry as long as you try to do the right thing. Numbers are so absolute, but every baby is different. If she's healthy otherwise she's probably getting what she needs. Note also that she doesn't need all her nutritional requirements daily. That is, she can eat less protein one day and more the next. Malnutrition (and you're very far from it) doesn't happen in a day or two. ;)

Another problem in HK, at least for us, is enough water.

In any case it sounds like you have it together.

Katetam 16 yrs ago
PURA for fresh millk. ( WON'T give any other) if you know the real truth about how the OTHER brands are pasteurized... you wouldn't bother!

(no wonder, lately, it's SO hard to buy PURA ! looks like everyone buys it!) haha

I also buy the individual boxed ones Paul's Milk for my kids when travelling, or tranporting. It's easier. (Of course, that's assuming your child know how to use a straw , but even if not, we cut the box poured it in the bottle for the little one.) Works perfect for travelling esp because it doesn't need to be in the fridge to stay fresh and good.

My kids love both.

crj 16 yrs ago
The ParkNShop brand called SELECT (whote box, light blue writing) is also Australian I believe, we would get that when Pura was out.

Wheelymate 16 yrs ago
Pura is what we drink, either that or Magnolia (a singapore brand).

Overall cheaper than organic but sitll expensive with the way my son guzzles it in the morning and evening, cereal and my tea. But I can't bring myself to do UHT, it just tastes horrible!

mumbloxy 16 yrs ago
axptguy38, may I ask what your thoughts are on kids' multivitamins. I've been wondering whether to give to my 15-mth boy. He has consistently been on 50-75% growth charts weight and height wise and he does eat a balanced diet, BUT he seems to be always getting sick, I'd say almost every other month. Doc assures me that his diet is fine and that vitamins are not necessary, except if it makes me feel better. Doc seems to think this is part of growing up as he gets more exposed to playgroups & other kids etc. Any thoughts?

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
mumbloxy, our kids have both been on vitamins since they were about 3 months old. Then again, so are their parents. ;)

As for always getting sick, vitamins will probably not fix that, but they may help.

Another thought, and please don't take this the wrong way: "Are you a clean freak?" Many kids that live in clinically clean houses where you could perform surgery on the floor don't have the same chance to build up their immune systems. They end up being more sick than kids who are allowed to be dirty once in a while. As you know kids will taste anything including dirt. I'm not saying let him eat dirt but perhaps lay off the cleaning.

BV 16 yrs ago
Wellcome's own brand "First Choice" UHT milk is from New Zealand - a really good, cheaper alternative, especially for kids who are drinking it a lot and don't notice it's UHT not fresh milk!

cd 16 yrs ago
Mengiu long life milk.

mumbloxy 16 yrs ago
Hi axptguy38, no I am totally not the clean freak and my husband is even worse. I know the clean types you are referring to and no I am not offended. We both believe in free exploration and our little boy has been picking bits & pcs off the floor since 6 mth. He also crawls around in the park so he's had his fair bit of dirt & grime. When he does get sick, he does have quick recoveries but I just keep wondering how he gets sick so frequently. Personally I have not taken vitamins for years and can't say I'm a believer in them, but like you say, maybe they might help?

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"Personally I have not taken vitamins for years and can't say I'm a believer in them, but like you say, maybe they might help?"

Maybe. Then again some kids are just sick a lot and grow up to be healthy adults.

Is he seriously sick or does he just get "a cold"?

Kim11 16 yrs ago
I buy UHT Devondale. I don't like the taste of a glass of milk but don't mind it on creeal. My 3 year old drinks it without a problem and 1 year old drinks some out of a cup and most of it out of a bottle at night. She might drink different milk but has never had it. We buy UHt because it is conveneint to buy in bulk adn is cheaper. WE have also use the Select UHT and Wellcome brand UHT which are also good.

I started my son on a multivitamin at about 2 when he was getting sick constantly in an Australian daycare. I think it helped but also made me feel better since he definately does not get enough fruit and veggies. We use centrum for kids, strawbery flavoured chewables. I have also jsut started him on Omega 3 liquid from Bumps to Babes. It is expensive but I am sure Omega 3 are good for you and he doens't get much in pasta and cheese! Oh on the vitamin note- My son has not been as sick lately beuase I think he is getting older so I don't know if it is the vitamins or not.

mumbloxy 16 yrs ago
He's not seriously sick, it's usually a common cold or throat infection. Its probably nothing to worry about, but I just wonder since his diet is good (fruits & veg 3x a day, eats chicken, beef & pork, eggs & cheese 2-3x a week, 18 oz milk a day), sleeps well. If vitamins do help, I'll be the first to say all kids should be on them! Maybe I'll give it a try, my mother certainly thinks I should. :P

V1007 11 yrs ago
Does anyone know when Pura Fresh Milk will come back to HK and if you can suggest an alternative? Don't want the local milk as those don't taste like milk - very diluted.

Ed 8 yrs ago
I understand that to be correct.

I suspect the only way to avoid the hormones would be to purchased certified organic milk from a country with reputable certification.

XiaoShengLu 8 yrs ago
I recommend Trapist or Cheer. First is local but recommended by locals and second is from America.

stanlin 8 yrs ago
In the meantime I learned that hormones are indeed used in cattle in Australia but for the meat industry.
Hormones to boost milk production is not allowed in Australia so Australian milk is safe, even if not specifically stated. All milk from the EU is free from hormones too.
I think the U.S. doesn't have those laws?

Ed 8 yrs ago
Bovine somatotropin or bovine somatotrophin (abbreviated bST and BST), or bovine growth hormone (BGH), is a peptide hormone produced by cows' pituitary glands.[1] Like other hormones, it is produced in small quantities and is used in regulating metabolic processes.[1] After the biotech company Genentech discovered and patented the gene for BST in the 1970s,[2] it became possible to synthesize the hormone using recombinant DNA technology to create recombinant bovine somatotropin (rBST), recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH), or artificial growth hormone. Four large pharmaceutical companies, Monsanto, American Cyanamid, Eli Lilly, and Upjohn, developed commercial rBST products and submitted them to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for approval.[3][4] Monsanto was the first firm to receive approval. Other countries (Mexico, Brazil, India, Russia, and at least ten others) also approved rBST for commercial use.[5] Monsanto licensed Genentech's patent,[2] and marketed their product as "Posilac".[6][7] In October 2008, Monsanto sold this business, in full, to Eli Lilly and Company for $300 million plus additional consideration.[8]

rBST has not been allowed on the market in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Israel, or the European Union since 2000. Argentina also banned the use of rBST.

The FDA,[9] World Health Organization,[4] and National Institutes of Health[10] have independently stated that dairy products and meat from BST-treated cows are safe for human consumption. In the United States, public opinion led some manufacturers and retailers to market only milk that is rBST-free.[11][12][13][14]

A European Union report on the animal welfare effects of rBST states that its use often results in "severe and unnecessary pain, suffering and distress" for cows, "associated with serious mastitis, foot disorders and some reproductive problems".[15]

More https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin

stanlin 8 yrs ago
Ed,

Here is an article from the Australian government stating the use of different hormones in their meat industry:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/generalissues/hormonalgrowth/Pages/default.aspx

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad