Sorry, we don't serve tap water

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by dbg 15 yrs ago
Does that annoy anybody else?

Just had lunch at a mid-level restaurant in Central, asked for a glass of water and was told they only served bottled water. Ridiculous! I somehow doubt they used distilled water in the iced tea they served me...

End rant

dbg

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
dbg 15 yrs ago
HK tap water is safe to drink. As I mentioned, I doubt they used distilled water to make the ice tea I had, or the ice cubes that were in it. Most of the restaurants here are happy to serve you tap water - refusal is just a cheeky way of making extra money out of the patrons. Some of the places that don't serve tap water also have the cheek to charge $90 for a bottle of fancy spring water....

dbg

lunchspecials 15 yrs ago
I agree with the OP. They should have a law that requires serving of free water here.

CaptDave 15 yrs ago
Annoys the hell out of me... I wouldn't go back, except to gloat when the place is bankrupt & boarded up.

HKObserver 15 yrs ago
The excuse that the restaurant refusing to serve tap water is "concerned" for its customers (locals or out-of-towners) is pathetic. If they were in the least bit concerned about anything other than their profits, they would serve Watson's or Bonaqua distilled water, and not the overhyped overpriced Euro-water, that is inevitably on offer.

happyme 15 yrs ago
I get around this by asking for hot water. I have never been turned down.

fliedice 15 yrs ago
HK Tap water is safe, one needs to boil this as sometimes one never know what ones estate water storage system might throw into the tap via the storage tank, etc.

Drinking evian, perrier, etc is a crime. How can one account for drinking water that has been flown a thousands of miles to a place that already has good water - and pollute the environment. On top of this the latest HK consumer council confirmed that perrier had low levels of inpurities in the water that was not good for health.

The drinking of these imported water is too much of a lifestyle thing that is bad for our life.

Ed 15 yrs ago
I would think that Perrier would be shipped in vs flown... would cost a fortune to fly it in.

Ken A 15 yrs ago
Hong Kong water is perfectly safe... when it leaves the plant....

unfortunately between the plant and your home you're talking about some very old pipes.. you could of course fit a filter....

Of course whether a restaurant should serve you tap water is another matter..

VirginieL 15 yrs ago
To have sellers, you need buyers... and China also has his own bottled water.

Anyway, I think people should have the choice to have tap or bottled water in any restaurant, safe or not.

Ken A 15 yrs ago
I would prefer to be given the choice.... however, if you think about it from the restaurant point of view, you could ask for the tap water and get something from the water. You then suffer with stomach aches for the next couple of days and the first thing you will think about is that you may have gotten food poisoning from the restaurant's food, rather than from their water.

They're not doing it necessarily because they care about your health, or even because of the profits made from bottled water, but it may be more to do with saving their reputations.

As for yonon's comments yes of course it is only Europeans who bottle water and sell it around the world. You'd never get that from other countries right..... oh wait what's this I see on TV about Crystal Geyser bottled water.... of course its probably all just a scam... similar to those guys selling ferraris when you can get a car for a fraction of the cost.... they just keep forcing their bottled water and sports cars and other luxury goods on people who just have no choice but to say yes....

foxmulder 15 yrs ago
Agree with Yonon. It is nothing to do with concern for the customer. It is a rip-off pure and simple. Happyme's idea is a cunning one. I, too, ask for warm water. Then some ice.......Of course there are other rip-offs in HK: wine prices are an example. Seven Eleven are offering a litre of Paul Masson wine for HKD49.00. OK, it's not fine wine, but pleasant enough. Where can you buy a bottle of wine in a restaurant for under 200HKD? And the measures!! Pathetic. And one mustn't forget the removal of tax which resulted in the supermarkets passing this onto the customer. But the restaurants?? No chance. Then there is the so-called service charge. Don't get me going on that.......Why do they do it? Because we are stupid enough to pay

VirginieL 15 yrs ago
Foxmulder : would you work for free ? no... for sure. What you pay in a restaurant is every one salary, for the work they are doing to serve you, the place rental etc... if you could find good food at a production price, every restaurant would be bankrupted !!

curio 15 yrs ago
Agree with Philvirg. The culprits here are the greedy landlords and developers. I heard that rentals of restaurants can cost as much as $250,000/month or more for a 600sq. ft space. So I do drink bottled water in restaurants...

foxmulder 15 yrs ago
Of course they have to make a profit. I don't expect food or wine at production cost . And, in fact, I never said that. I just object to paying inordinately high prices for small measures of wine - especially now that the duty has been abolished. And I object to the lie that is the so-called service charge. Why not be honest and just increase prices by 10% and leave it to the customer to reward good service?

Tana 15 yrs ago
Agree with foxmulder. Sick of hidden costs. One inclusive price saves confusion. Same applies to airfares. Just give us the full price incl of sc, taxes etc etc. Otherwise it's misleading advertising. And saves on mental arithmetic when calculating the bill...

Pokfulam furniture 15 yrs ago
does one have the option to not pay the service charge?

Anonymous 15 yrs ago
Why not make a protest against this and when you get the bill if it says 10 per cent service charge ask them if they get to keep it. If not ask for the manager and ask them why the staff doesn't get the money.

While on topic did you know that if you put a tip on your credit card bill many restaurants don't give the tips to the staff? Whenever you consider tipping on your credit card I'd suggest that you first ask who keeps that money.

So many ways these restaurants rip off their staff and its so sad!

janes addiction 15 yrs ago
The service charge doesn't bother me at all. I always tip on top of it too.

But the water thing drives me crazy. Half the time I ordered bottled sparkling water anyway, but I am also perfectly happy to drink HK tap water when I want still water. Got into it a heated debate once with a restaurant owner who initially trotted out the unsafe argument, etc. He clammed up when I asked if he washed the lettuce in the salad I had just eaten in bottled water... he eventually acquiesced and admitted it was difficult to make the economics work without charging for water.

byebug 15 yrs ago
Everyone should know that water is not free in HK i mean for human use and consumption... You pay for water bill in your home...you goto play sports at urban parks and wash your hands later who pays? government pays for the bill.... you goto to gym and the gym pays for water expenses... even in all convenience store we pay for bottled water and also in all kinds of business offices parks i mean everywhere.... so the restaurants are not at fault for charging guest for the water bottle, they too have to pay the bill. service charge is not an issue here just because youre ego is hurt for the tap water you didnt get. when you go out to eat expect to pay for everything including drinking water.

Brocko 15 yrs ago
I've always failed to see where the value is in expensive branded water vs no-name distilled bottled water. But I guess that as long as there are suckers out there, there is going to be someone to take advantage of them.

After all, EVIAN spelled backwards is...

Philly Cheese 15 yrs ago
Re the concept of tipping - stories abound of servers in NY getting all pissy when the tip is less than 15%. I fully support tipping for extraordinary service. But when staff expect to be tipped even for mediocre or expected service levels, then I have an issue with it. In Asian countries, tips are always received with gratitude. Not so, I'm afraid across the pond.

BTW the glass of ice is more expensive than the fountain drink in some cases. I really hate the $32 that some restaurants charge on coke - rediculous.

cowleyp 15 yrs ago
It's true, HK water is safe to drink, if the pipes and service feeds are in constant use (as in a catering establishment) then pipe contamination is negligable. Never had a problem personally although I have many friends who won't drink it no matter how many times I tell them its safe, up to the individual.

We all pay for water monthly including commercial premesis. When I studied catering one of the first rules of good service after greet and seat the customer was to offer them a free glass of iced water. This is still almost universal in Taiwan and many parts of China. Good service begats good patronage and good tipping.

Dive bum 15 yrs ago
Tuesday night meal in Sauce, Sai Kung. Total bill HK$1,000 for two inc wine and aperitifs. 10% service included but I added $40 cash - seemed reasonable to me, service was OK and over half the bill was in respect of booze. I don't think tips should differ dependent on booze spend - some drink cheap wine, some expensive and some just tea. The tip shouldn't differ in my view - shame I can't do anything about the service charge on that count. But the main point to make is that we asked for water and got two large glasses each with a nice slice of lemon. No charge. Any discomfort the following day, I put down to the wine...

Dive bum 15 yrs ago
We are automatically given (free) glasses of water at Anthony's Ranch in Sai Kung - and free nuts! Not that I drink it, I prefer San Miguel, but it's a nice touch. And they do a splendid burger there. Our favourite 'too late to start cooking' establishment.

rasbro 15 yrs ago
brocko. there is big difference between spring water (bottled natural water) and distilled water. distilled water has NO nutrients and in fact can remove nutrients from your body by acting as a sponge for trace metals, vitamins and minerals your body needs. most doctors and nutirtionists warn against drinking significant amounts of distilled water.

however, there is hardly any difference between expensive and cheap spring water except for packaging and distance shipped.

i have never had a problem with tap water here in HKG. i don't drink it often though, more the taste than the worry of contamination...

water on the table in a restaurant should be part of the running costs, consider it part of that 10% service charge! the fee they pay to the government is neglible for a glass of water, far less than 1HKD per glass i would imagine.

in many states in the US it is illegal to refuse water to any patron, regardless of whether they actually purchase food or not.

the only time i leave a tip in HKG is when i receive exceptional service. in 3 years here i have left a tip only 2 times.

selda 15 yrs ago
in Chinese restaurants they serve boiled tap water, which you can have hot or cold. I have never been denied tap water....that's what most people in HK drink, and it's perfectly safe, i use a filter to get rid of impurities and chlorine smell, but boiling does the job too.

If a Western restaurant refuses to serve boiled tap water, i would ask for the manager, tell him that i object to the carbon footprint of bottled water, and that i would never return to his/her restaurant. Very persuasive argument, and never failed to work :-)

lagu-lagu 15 yrs ago
After having a couple of glasses of red wine at an Italian restaurant in TST,we were ordered food. And I said, "can we have some water please" waiter says OK but you have to order bottled water as we don't serve tap water here. This is the first time I was refused water at a restaurant so I felt bad. I said I just want normal tap water and if you refuse want to give me that call the manager. Manager came and said the same thing they don't serve tap water and neither the surrounding restos. I said we ordered a thousand dollars worth of food and you're not going to give us water? He said, I'm sorry but we will not , but you can order bottled water. I said, fine cancel our order, bill please.

beachball 15 yrs ago
> Posted by rasbro (3 days ago)

> [ Message | Report Abuse ]

> brocko. there is big difference between spring water (bottled natural

> water) and distilled water. distilled water has NO nutrients and in fact

> can remove nutrients from your body by acting as a sponge for trace

> metals, vitamins and minerals your body needs. most doctors and

> nutirtionists warn against drinking significant amounts of distilled water.

> however, there is hardly any difference between expensive and cheap

> spring water except for packaging and distance shipped.

>

> i have never had a problem with tap water here in HKG. i don't drink it

> often though, more the taste than the worry of contamination...

> water on the table in a restaurant should be part of the running costs,

> consider it part of that 10% service charge! the fee they pay to the

> government is neglible for a glass of water, far less than 1HKD per

> glass i would imagine.

>

> in many states in the US it is illegal to refuse water to any patron,

> regardless of whether they actually purchase food or not.

>

> the only time i leave a tip in HKG is when i receive exceptional service. > in 3 years here i have left a tip only 2 times.

A very sensible post by rasbro - except for the point about distilled removing nutrients from your body which is simply false (but a very common belief/urban myth).

foxmulder 15 yrs ago
Right on, Sadsack! Power to the people!!

neversaynever 15 yrs ago
why don't u ask for an empty glass and then go to the bathroom to fill it up? Simple.

MarathonHK 15 yrs ago
The day I have to get up and get my own water from the toilets, the 10% service charge better not appear on the bill..

jing22 15 yrs ago
10% service charge (a global phenomenon) is added to cover things like linens, breakages, and service ware items - it is not a tip - tips are always listed as gratuity no matter where you are in the world. I've been a waitress in HK for many years and I tell you there is nothing worse than people who don't tip. BE GENEROUS if you get good service, we work hard and don't get paid very much. Your tip, even if small, is always appreciated and we always remember generous people.

MarathonHK 15 yrs ago
I agree with Dick.. If the service charge is not a tip and is not related to service it should just be added to the total price quoted. If it s to cover linen etc.. it should be a fixed charge (same as in Greece where you pay a fixed charge for the cuttelry and bread)

I m pretty sure 50% out there consider it as 10% for service and don't add any tip. I admit I did this when I first arrived in HK. As I thought the charge was imposed on me whether I enjoyed the service or not, I didn't see why I should add a tip on top for the same thing..

I would also like to add that unfortunately they are too many restaurants in HK (especially some of the more expensive ones) where the service jsut doesn't deserve any reward at all. How many times have you ordered cocktails and got them with your meal.. appetizers served after main course.. wine served half way through the meal..

I once watched the waiter struggle while opening the wine.. He had split the cork, and was desperately trying to get it out without it breaking. In the end, the cork finished at the bottom of the bottle, and the waiter just turned to me and said "you wish to taste the wine?"..

camberwell 15 yrs ago
Hi - have also been asked to pay for water at a restaurant in Soho. I'm boycotting it now.

MarathonHK 15 yrs ago
I can t recall ever not paying the 10% surcharge in HK.. didn't know some places didnt have it.

Barraclough 15 yrs ago
I find the service charge bizarre. It's like going into a shoe shop and being charged 10 percent extra because the staff had to walk into the stock room to get the right pair. Your food is no good to you sitting in the kitchen and without a waiter to bring it to you.

If the service charge is actually for something else it should be labeled appropriately.

I have been here donkey's years and agree with the poster who thinks that most people think the service charge is the tip – I did for years. I am still reluctant to tip having already made a forced payment for 'service'.

I also am under the impression that in some restaurants tips are pooled and the owners even get a cut from them, which makes me reluctant to tip generously but means that wait staff lose out. I am happy to see a post from a waitress who says she does get to keep her tips.

I have only been to the US once. I was very happy to tip generously because staff knew what they were serving, could anticipate needs and could drop into the background when appropriate and be called over again without a drama. But HK's inconsistent service standards are another rant all together.

Barraclough 15 yrs ago
Restaurants/Bars that don' charge the 10% (added by Ed)

Delaney's, Dublin Jack's, er that's it...

cowleyp 15 yrs ago
Recently had dinner in Pizza Hut (kids). They gave us all a glass of cold water on sitting down as they presented the menus, wife and kids bought smoothies but I stayed with water and the service staff, who despite looking about 13 years old worked well and tirelessly topped up my glass at no charge. Needless to say a cash tip was left despite service charge.

dbg 15 yrs ago
Just coming back to this. I went for dinner at Mrs. Jones last night and, upon sitting down, was asked by the waiter if we preferred still, sparkling, or tap water. Now THAT's the way it should be done.

Daveed188 14 yrs ago
If a bar has competitive priced drinks and has a live band, then I think that a service charge instead of a cover charge is fair.

Paneristi 14 yrs ago
Sheesh just ask for HOT water and some ice

krissy3 14 yrs ago
i believe fat angelos does not have a service charge. btw...service in HK sucks. water should always be free...

alpha235 14 yrs ago
Can somebody list places that do not have service charge or tea charge for Chinese restaurants? I find this tea charge absurd as I don't even drink tea due to medical reasons.

I think service charge should be taken out and instead we give tips instead. Also, am wondering if we put the tip together into the credit card bill, do the servers get them?

vak 14 yrs ago
me and my family have been drinking tap water from hk taps for 26 years with no problems. I guess the issue is not having a choice in a restaurant. Just to force you to have 40 dollars on a glass of water is unfair. they may as well jack up their food prices to compensate for PERCIEVED loss on water.

Some restaurants (local) do not have written policies but will stitch you up on extras depending on what you order in terms of total value. I ordered a single dish when eating out alone in a SAIKUNG waterfront restaurant and was AMUSED to see a bill for my main dish plus CHINESE tea and PEANUTS. the amount for the peanuts and tea was more than the dish. I had to laugh at the innovation.

Britsabroad 14 yrs ago
Restaurant overheads in HK are hellish - hence why so many go out of business - just buy a bottle of water and stop being such tightwads :-)

peainapod 14 yrs ago
"PRONTO" in the Le Meridian hotel at Cyberport refused to give me a glass of water for my 4 year-old while we were having lunch two days ago. They insisted I had to buy a whole bottle of water. When I dug my heels in they grudgingly brought her a cup of boiling hot water, which simply meant my daughter had to wait another 20 minutes for it to cool down before she could drink her glass of water.

What a crock!! I'll never set foot in there again.

casuals 14 yrs ago
My favourite is "Still or Sparkling, sir?"

"Errr.... Tap?"

wildhogs 14 yrs ago
I wasn't aware that a tipping culture existed in HK, 'cause it doesn't in many countries. I'm definitely willing to tip if I get good service, but I hate it when they snatch your change awy from you. It has happened to me twice in my one month here.

ceejay1 14 yrs ago
Id make it a point to go back, and went the server asked what would you like to drink id ask for tap water and when they refuse id reach in my bag and pull out a big bottle of watsons water and ask for an empty glass then ask for the food menu !!!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad