Kids allowed in restaurants??

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Sapphire 14 yrs ago
We are trying to arrange dinner with visitors who have kids (approx 8-9yrs). We are not specifically looking for 'kid-friendly' restaurants that have a kids menu as their kids will eat what the adults eat as long as it's not Indian/Thai. Why is it that, in a place with so many restaurants, it's so difficult to find one that will let us take the kids?!! I have lived in and visited many countries with my own kids when they were growing up and have never had a problem taking them into restaurants ... quite the opposite in fact! We don't particularly want a restaurant in a shopping mall, or places like Fat Angelo's, and we don't want to go to the Peak as they've already done it. We just want a nice place to have dinner! So, does anyone have any suggestions where we can take them??

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Sapphire 14 yrs ago
Panic over! We found somewhere at last! They don't normally allow kids, but said they would make an exception as we are dining early:o)

Slammy 14 yrs ago
Those kids are not young! I can't believe it was difficult to find a place...

Sapphire 14 yrs ago
Believe me, it was! Unless you want to go to a bog standard place, instead of a decent place, most places I called weren't happy to accept children in the evening. But we did end up having a very nice meal in the end, so no worries;o)

Loyd Grossman is Miss Venezuela 14 yrs ago
Where did you go?

Sapphire 14 yrs ago
The Orange Tree, Shelley Street. Food was very good and so was the service. The staff were very attentive, and they were also very accommodating with the children (ages 6, 8 & 11). We were actually given their private room as there was 12 of us in total (which meant we didn't disturb the other diners!). A good evening was had by all and we will definitely be going back again.

Philly Cheese 14 yrs ago
I don't know where you go to but every restaurant that I have ever been to in HK has never said to me that kids are not allowed. This includes swanky places like the Conrad Hotel's restaurant and Grand Hyatt. Many Chinese dine as family with all generations together, so it is not unusual to have kids along.

Perhaps they misunderstood you and thought that you were asking about separate kids' menu.

Sapphire 14 yrs ago
Likewise, we have never had problems with hotel restaurants either, but we didn't want to go to a hotel as they were vistors from the overseas and preferred to be 'out and about' in Hong Kong rather than in a hotel. We were looking for something around SoHo/Central areas ... but as I said, we found somewhere and it turned out well, so all were happy:o)

befox 14 yrs ago
I even took my kids to the Peninsula for dinner and no problem, would love to know where kids aren't welcome

Loyd Grossman is Miss Venezuela 14 yrs ago
Befox. I agree. kids have to eat too.

Sapphire 14 yrs ago
Ok then, rather than everyone getting on my case for not being able to find many 'decent' places where kids are welcome in the evenings for dinner (other than hotels/chinese/pizza/steakhouse/bog standard Italian joints), why not be helpful to all the parents out there, who have asked the same question over the years, by starting a list of decent restaurants that they can recommend personally from having actually been there in the evening for dinner with children and have been welcomed.

I might add that I no longer have young children of my own, so I don't have to worry about it, but I'll start off the list ...

The Orange Tree, Shelley Street, Mid Levels.

Next ... ?

befox 14 yrs ago
as I said Peninsula, Novotel In Tung Chung,

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad