Bars in Yuen Long

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by casuals 14 yrs ago
Anybody know some cool bars in Yuen Long? Im keen to make some friends in the area. Also up for a footie kickabout every weekend, if people want to make a team...

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
190k 14 yrs ago
I think the lack of replies answers your question about bars, They have the local type bars where you accidently look at someone and then a gang comes and beats you up but no real expat bars. There is one on the approach road to fairview Park called the beer garden which is more tame and you can sit outside if you are a smoker

casuals 14 yrs ago
The Beer Garden, I'll check that out. I'm assuming it's on the approach road near the petrol stations etc, just before you enter? I heard there's a place called NY Bar too that was popular with expats...

canuckinhk 14 yrs ago
hey casuals,

sorry about this late reply, but it needs to be said. 190K could not be further from the truth about yuen long bars.

the only thing that is correct is that they are 'local bars' (tables low to the ground, very loud, lots of dice and hand games and often your are forced into buying a bowl of nuts). thats about where it ends for accuracy in their comment.

ive lived in yuen long for over three years and have had nothing but amazing experiences in the bars there.

my friends and i used to go regularly to the bars behind citimall and we always had a blast. if you can learn some of the games you'll find the locals are very welcoming.

i cant count the number of times we would take our beer and sit down at a random table of locals playing games and join in. they've always seemed more than happy to welcome us into their games and most of the time once your beer runs out they will even start letting you drink theirs. you may want to bulk up on your cantonese. they may speak a little english, but your wont be talking about anything full on.

ive not once run into any problem at all. what i have experienced is friendly people out for a good night. if you dont mind a majority of men and a loud bar you'll love the bar scene in yuen long.

casuals 14 yrs ago
Thanks Canuck - that's certainly the vibe I've got from Yuen Long so far. The people here are more down to earth, friendly and generous with their time and smiles than any other part of HK I've lived in so far. I've got a decent command of cantonese and know most of the games, so I should fit in just fine. Do you have any favourites haunts you could let me in on? Most of the bars are underground and all look the same from the outside, so I was just wondering if a couple stood out in terms of vibe or setting?

casuals 14 yrs ago
Oh - and I'll google maps Citimall and give it a shot this weekend!

190k 14 yrs ago
I forgot there is a bar in the Thai restrauant at Au Tau near Pok Oi hospital. Some expats go there regularly on Saturdy lunch time. NY bar is a steak house with a small bar. The steaks are good value for money but they get full so you need to book

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad