Cocaine found in visiting friends hotel room

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by mike195 11 yrs ago
Hi all,

Have been living in HK the past 4 months now and had a couple of friends come to visit me from the states. They left a couple days ago, and one has just spoken to me saying the hotel emailed him saying that housekeeping found a small bag with a small amount of white powder in it (obviously coke that they were partying with). They asked me saying, if the hotel emailed this, are they so naieve to what it was, or could they have reported it so next time my friend comes to HK immigration will stop them / possibly charge them?.

I dont partake in this stuff, especially being in a foreign country, it scares me, especially being asia. but want to try and find out some information as to what could happen, as it was found after check out, and while they were probably already on a plane home.

Even if they were caught in the street with such a small amount, what does HK tend to do punishment wise of a foreigner with minor amounts?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
mike195 11 yrs ago
hahahaha thanks Erikmimo! They actually wrote back to my mate saying "we will hold for collection until XXX Date" was the funniest thing to read!

mooncakebaby 11 yrs ago
Excuse me, I wouldn't be so cavalier at all about this. I don't expect anything will happen to your friends but whereas in the Uk, a small amount of coke would get you cautioned and released, here it can indeed get you a prison sentence. One of the more interesting days out you can have in HK is to go and sit in the magistrate's court for a hour or two: fascinating stuff! When it comes to drugs, I saw foreigners, first offence and small amounts, given sentences of six and nine months: should have seen the shock on their faces, while some old and battered looking Chinese guy with a bag of 50 E's was bound over and let go. Attitude seems to be, the old guy is washed up and finished, no need to care about him, but a young man, first time, give him a bad shock, let him learn a lesson. It will also cost him his career, but, hey, never mind. I have a pal here, poor lad, he's a lightning rod for trouble, he was sitting on a roof-top when some friends came by, sharing a joint: he didn't even have any! He was studying!. They dropped the roach and went off, next thing he knew, a shadow fell over him and he looked up to see two of "HK"s finest" holding the roach and a pair of handcuffs. He was held and charged and lucky to get a fine. Naturally, his friends totally failed to step forward. I could give you countless stories of the hippies of Lamma as well. The magistrates are hard-hearted and will lock up an elderly woman who cares for stray cats, even over Christmas, for next to nothing, so best don't be using drugs here.

mike195 11 yrs ago
Thanks for the information, yeah the use of it isnt my cup of tea, but each to their own i guess. if it was back in australia and i was visting them on holidays and we were interstate sharing a room it wouldnt ever cross my mind, if anything were to happen, its basically a slap ont he risk and a stern talking too. But in HK, i am quite different to this and apprehensive about it all just from the rumours and things you here as you just pointed out.

It seems HK takes it seriously. Would there be a time frame you would tell someone to stay away if the scenario i mentioned occured, or would there be a way to find its safe? I love my friends visiting me, its what keeps me sane as an expat, so i dont want to scare them off, but dont want them to visit and be in strife at the border control?

IN short, housekeeping finds it in the room, emails them about the findings, says they will hold it til x date to collect after which they will dispose of. If police were informed, couldnt the persons name on the room be charged in absentia and a hit put on their name for if they re enter? Or am i just now being over paranoid for them?

Dont understand why you would risk it in HK, way too dangerous.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad