Best Dim Sum Restaurant in Hong Kong?

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Ed 19 yrs ago
Can anyone recommend a tasty dim sum restaurant?

Posted by treno (25 days ago)

maxim in city hall, central. very near to star ferry. unfortunately they don't take reservation.

be prepared to wait for anywhere 30min to 1hr.

for weekday/non-holiday : if you get there before noon, better chance to get a table without waiting for too long.

i always enjoy the dim-sum, very authentic too .... food served, dim sum trolleys & the crowd. a total experience.

Posted by Ed (25 days ago)

Highly recommend a place called Dim Sum across from the petrol station on Sing Woo Rd in Happy Valley. Nothing comes close...

Posted by TC (25 days ago)

Very difficult to find a bad one - judge by the crowds lining up for a table. My favourites are Chuk Yuen (?) in Hankow Road, TST and another one I can't even half-remember the name of on 2/F of China Ferry (?) Building at the north end of Harbour City.

Posted by mcgrada1 (25 days ago)

would second Ed's comments about "Dim Sum" in Happy Vally - its the best I ve ever had in HK

Posted by blue lotus (25 days ago)

there's another good one inside the pennisula hotel...

Posted by Miss P (25 days ago)

Apparently Uniting Centre (5th floor?) has one?

not sure.

regards Miss P

Posted by Eminhongkong (25 days ago)

Thanks for all the ideas! Looking forward to a yummy experience this weekend :)

Posted by treno (25 days ago)

Eminhongkong : enjoy & be prepared to wait.

Guess only the one in hotel will take reservation.

Usually I go with a few people (some are locals), been to quite a no. of places in hong kong & kowloon side. on average HK$100 per head means a reansonably handsome budget for dim sum (of course no bubbly is there, tea is what you drink, help the digestion too, especially this "pu erh", not any green tea, a bit stronger , not bitter, just tell them don't make it so strong to be on the safe side).

BUON APPETITO !

Posted by Runner (25 days ago)

It's the Metrapole on 5/F United Centre. A lot of gweilos go there.

Ho Choi in North Wanchai (Exhibition Centre) is better. It's not gweilo territory but the dim sum they serve is excellent and there's always someone there to help you order off the printed list which is all in Chinese. There are no ladies pushing trollies in this one.

Posted by chiki (25 days ago)

how do u know what to order if its on a printed list? I hate dim sum places like that, where you mark it off, would prefer the old style ones with old ladies pushing their lil trollies...

Posted by beachball (25 days ago)

Actually, the trolleys are not old style but a result of the fairly recent trend to really large scale restaurants (if you have ever eaten in one of the "dining palaces" in China with several hundred seats and multiple kitchens you know what I am talking about). There is really no point to have trolleys in smaller places and using a paper slip is the authentic way of ordering – plus, it means that your dian xin are freshly prepared and you have a full selection, instead of being limited to what has sitting on a trolley for half an hour…

In any case, the original question has been posted on this board numerous times and has been answered just as often (Hint: Use the Search function). Maxim’s (City Hall) and Dim Sum seem to be the perennial favorites and Metropole gets mentioned frequently as well. Better than all of them (IMNSHO) is Victoria City in Citic Tower – they even take reservations.

Posted by altro (25 days ago)

Interesting comment.

Just want to input from a hong kong chinese in here.

Old style :

Restaurant people carry a stainless steel tray in front with a band across over the shoulder/back (imagine the drummer). Fill up coloumns of piping hot dim sum baskets of different choices, from the kitchen - calling out what dim sum they are selling - then customer's table.

Since it is heavy, and issue about keeping dim sum warm enough .... hence came the trolley, that is what you see in some restaurants now.

To cut costs of hiring the trolley ladies & make it sounds better (made-to-order), local restaurants follow to do like the posher one, fill in the form & a while, dim sim will be made & serve.

Enjoy !

PS - Dim sum is a Cantonese thing, so you will find in Guanzhou, China & all over Hong Kong, since a long long time ago. Since it became such a favourite, extension started.

Posted by blue monkey (24 days ago)

i'll have to second Runner's opinion - Ho Choi's dim sum is fantastic! if i'm not wrong, they also have a branch somewhere in Central.

Metropole at the United Centre is also great...

For a really traditional, old school, old style (read old restaurant) try "Lien Heung" along Wellington Street. Apparently, the resturant is older than Yung Kee (the famous roast goose place near LKF), dim sum is served on trollies but non english speaking place.

Posted by Runner (24 days ago)

Ho Choi also have a branch in Nathan Road, Mongkok; Cheung Sha Wan Road, Lai Chi Kok; and Tsuen Wan, a block away from Jusco. I've been to them all and they all ahve the same consistent good quality.

They've had a lunchtime special on of late (in Tsuen Wan at least, I don't know about the others), for around $680 for a table of 12, involving numerous dim sum dishes (which you choose) plus main dishes (which you don't choose, but they're really superb) followed by desert, some kind of sago pudding in a fresh coconut. You probably need a Cantonese speaker/Chinese reader with you to even find out about this one. You can still go for it with less than 12 but it sandbags you even with 12 people eating.

Posted by altro (24 days ago)

Lin Heung Tea House

A total experience indeed.

Exactly like the days, the dim sum variety, taste, quality & including the table sharing bit. Can't get more authentic than these. Even my super picky dad not able to say a word, just enjoy his dim sum contentedly. Not expensive too. A real deal ! Good reminder, no one speaks English there but don't be afraid to try.

Posted by joy2 (23 days ago)

try Victoria in wanchai(is near Grand Hyatt)

Posted by HkScot (23 days ago)

Dragon-I dim sum buffet every lunchtime. $108

Posted by adele (23 days ago)

try Luk Yue tea house on Stanley Street in central-- very old building, there are old ladies wearing silver trays w/ the dimsums , quite authentic. always packed during lunch hours on the weekends

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Matt1973 19 yrs ago
BEST is without a doubt Tang Court at Langhams Hotel (used to be Great Eagle) in TST

Enjoy !!

The Gwailo Dim Sum King

Lei Ah 19 yrs ago
Best dim sum in HK: 1.Times Square, 10 floor, chinese restaurant just in front of the lift. 2.Grand Hyatt. 3. Excelsior Hotel.

Enjoy!!

European girl

*V* 19 yrs ago
City Hall is definitely the best!

Ed 19 yrs ago
Try Dim Sum on Sing Woo Rd in Happy Valley

squeaktoo 19 yrs ago
Hi does anyone know if Dim Sum in Happy Valley takes reservations and if so, what is their number?

Thks

yanyan712 14 yrs ago
Fu Sing on Lockhart Road, or West Villa in Lee Garden.

Ed 13 yrs ago

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad