Piano Teacher from Canada, seeking advice

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Katetam 19 yrs ago
Hi all,

I am a piano teacher of over 15 years. As an active registered music teacher and executive of many associations in Canada, after moving to HK 3 years ago, I have not been able to recruit students like I did in Canada.

Being used to the system in North America, it has been very difficult to get used to Hk's style of education and referral system. There are no referral service here. I do not want to sent out flyers in mailboxes.

If there are other piano or music teachers who went through this difficult period and found solution, please advise. I do love teaching and do like living in HK.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Katetam 19 yrs ago
please email me at pianokc2005@yahoo.com

Thank you for your interest.

Katetam 19 yrs ago
I do not use Suzuki method further than book 1. I find students hooked on Suzuki method for a long time do not know how to sight read very well. B/c this method is very dependent and based on "ear" training, and playing by ear. Although I agree that at the beginning lessons, it's very rewarding to the student.

I can't say I use the traditional method as well. My approach is a multi-facet one, but I do teach from the middle C, if that counts as "traditional method".

A little about my teaching method: It's not the content that is important, it's the "way" the teacher communicates to the child/student that determines the direction, and development of his interest in short run and long term.

My philosophy and basis of my training comes from my background as I majored in Child Psychology and counselling. I have three performance diplomas from Royal Conservatory of Toronto, as well as DipABRSm and LRSM both distinction standing in piano performance. I have been teaching for over 15 years. My students receive distinction standing in exams, and are often prize winners of competitions and festivals.

My teaching method for each child is different, and creating interest and appreciation for music are my main focus. At the same time, I like my students to set short term goals as well as long term goals. This way, as the piano lessons are going on, there is also a concrete accomplishment each year. Big or small. Most students quit at the grades of 6-7 b/c of the lack of "interest" and knowledge of "how to practice". Most parents and students will give up on the piano when it gets tough around that level. It's always a pity to see. So I am very set on a child's foundation when I do the interview.

I teach in Kowloon, and starting in May 2005, I will be teaching in Sai Kung/Clearwater Bay area as well.

Katetam 19 yrs ago
Sorry, I do not do home visits. As I find students who learn piano in the comforts of their own home seem to have less concentration. I also need alot of materials from my own studio, such as Cd recordings, Various music books, and small hand instruments for rhythm training. I totally understand what you are talking about regarding terrible memories of piano lessons in the past.

I can tell you, my piano lessons are fun, motivating, and yet accomplishing for your children. Look forward to hear from you again.

guyinshanghai 19 yrs ago
I will need a piano teacher for my son in July. We'll move to Shanghain and he has been learning piano in the past three years. If anyone knows a good teacher in Shanghai, please let me know. My e-mail address is quinl@hotmail.com. Thanks a bunch.

BCE 19 yrs ago
I've been looking piano teacher for my four-y-o daughter. I totally agree with your philiosophy of teaching a child. I would like to get your contact if you are interested in teaching my daughter. However, we live in HK, do you consider to teach in HK?

Katetam 19 yrs ago
HI ymko and BCE,

Thank you for your interest. Please contact me at the email address pianokc2005@yahoo.com, I will give you my phone number so we can speak.

Thank you again.

meiji 19 yrs ago
HI Ruth at Clifford, how 's the market in GZ and what are the lesson fees like? I can't move to GZ, I like HK very much. But I am curious why you said what you did.

Thanks.

Katetam 19 yrs ago
Yes Ruth, How much are lessons in GZ ? I won't move to GZ though. I have relatives in GZ. Do you have any good teachers in GZ to recommend?

nes 19 yrs ago
Dear gandalf,

I know that there is a piano teacher living in Scenic Villas in Pokfulam who does home visits, I'll try and find out her details and post them for you.

nes 19 yrs ago
Dear Gandalf,

sorry it has taken me so long, I wanted to find out from the treacher if it is o.k for me to post her details and I haven't been able to so why dont you email me, wanessa31@hotmail.com, and I will tell you which apartment she is in.

frizzy 19 yrs ago
Maybe advertise in Hong Kong magazine... English readership and cheap rates.

Katetam 19 yrs ago
Just wondering anyone who lives in Clearwater Bay area, how HUMID does it get (compared to Kowloon).... worried about my piano.... do I need a lot of dehumidfiers? How is the humidity throughout the year? For example, when dried in Kowloon (60%-70% humidity)... is CB area much higher in humidity? I cannot risk the piano getting rusted b/c of the ocean. Anyone have advice, we delayed our move to next month, I want to be fully prepared for the piano.

Thanks!

sidney 19 yrs ago
Dear Katetam,

May we know where do you live?

we shall move from Singapore to Hong Kong in mid-Aug. Very likely we shall stay in South side of Hong Kong Island.

Our 4 year old son has been taking piano lessons in Singapore. He is using the "Alfred Basic Piano course". He has finished "Level 1A", and now half-way into "Level 1B"

If you do not leave in the South Hong Kong side,by any chance you can recommend anyone?

Thanks

rift2 19 yrs ago
Katetam, you'd better to have a dehumidifier and a heating rod installed underneath the sound board (assuming yours is a grand). It will need frequent tuning if the humidity ís not maintained around or lower than 50%. Airconditioning might help a bit. Good luck!

Katetam 19 yrs ago
Thanks rift2. I already have the heating rod, and keep the Air con on 24/7..... hope it will be enough. I will have a humidity meter in the room.

Thanks again!

torpey 19 yrs ago
Sarina

Your method of teaching sounds perfect for my non musical family(me and my three chidren 8,6 and 3).We have no experince but would love to try. We have purchased a second hand piano. Could you post details of your location or wether you do home visits and your charges.

Karen

K8sMum 19 yrs ago
To Katetam. I hope your move went smoothly and from the posts here, it sounds like you will have students too! We've just moved to HK wondering when you would suggest a child start lessons? Do you also teach adults? (your method sounds a LOT more fun than any of my old piano teachers).

Katetam 19 yrs ago
To K8sMum, thanks for your compliments. I do have adult students, mostly moms.... I enjoy teaching adults very much. As for the age for a child to begin formal lessons, it really depends on the child's attitude, and personality. But in general, I suggest around 4 years old..... but I do have a 3 year old right now..... I just use different methodlogies for young beginners.

I have quite a number of students right now in Clearwater Bay area, but I am 3 days in Kowloon, Whampoa Gardens. Please email me at pianokc2005@yahoo.com for further details. Hope to hear from you, or just to chat about HK in general since you just moved to HK.

sdnyyu 19 yrs ago
Dear Kate,

it seems that you live around Clearwater Bay area.

By any chance you know of any piano teacher living in South Horizons.

We are from Singapore and are looking fr a piano teacher for our 4 years old son

thanks

Noah 19 yrs ago
Dear All,

I am in charge of the music school in the Club House of a property estate in Island South. I am looking for piano and music teachers. If you are interested, please email me at admin@redmusic.com.hk or call me at my cell 9168-9979. Thanks.

Alvin.

dimac4 19 yrs ago
It should not be hard to find music students in HK - you do need to advertise yourself in the communities you wish to target - maybe even the dollarsaver and asiaxpat. The problem in Hk is that many people move on all the time so you need to continually advertsie to ensure you have a solid client base, and tell your students you are happy for them to refer others if they are happy with your teaching - give them little pass on cards or posters to put in their school noticeboard, newsletter or give to their teacher at school - who will always be asked on these matters. You just need to be a little more creative in your advertising - word of mouth is the most effective method of advertising in the xpat community - if you are good - you will do well.

Katetam 19 yrs ago
Thank you dimac4 for your advice. I am actually doing quite well now with students, during the summer, I have recruited a number of good students, and have received a number of recommendations.

Thank you again ! I totally agree with what you said.

search1 18 yrs ago
Katetam, do you still have room for new students?

I am seeking a new piano teacher for my 5 y.o.

Are you based in HK island? What are your rates.

Thanks.

Aooyee 9 yrs ago
Kate, not sure if you are still around in Hong Kong. I am looking for piano teacher for my daughter and we live in Kowloon.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad