Urgent help - Chinese medium kindergarten for non chinese kids

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by PJ826 10 yrs ago
My brother hired a native Cantonese tutor for his girl. The hong kong young lady looks after his daughter's homework , reads curriculars and explains him in English. It's been great.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
GemmaW 10 yrs ago
My first attends ESF. For my second and third, I am also exploring the local stream because it is cheaper financially and they will have the added bonus of being bilingual. The English influence is too strong at home.

Just wondering, can your husband read and write chinese? I've already started to receive chinese school notices for my second child who's about to enter K1. My HK born husband isn't home daily but what I do is I whatsapp him the notices and he tells me what I need to do.
With my firstborn at ESF, if she needs help with her mandarinhomework, she whatsapp her dad in China too. They message back and forth in Chinese. I think she uses the "strokes" application on the Iphone -I actually don't know how she does it.
So for kindie level, I think it's easy to help them by sending whatsapp to your partner or chinese speaking friends.
I have also brought notices to the security officers/clubhouse/neighbours for help with translating. If I get chinese emails from school, it is easier because I copy and paste the whole thing on google translate. It doesn't translate well word for word but enough for me to know what's going on - like a function to attend etc.
And it's good fun because I've picked up on lots of chinese characters myself too.
I feel awful that I don't know how to read and write so I think it would be bad if my kids followed my example.

For primary school,I think there are tuition centres that can help them so at least they will have everything completed before you get back. Plus, I think friends have been hiring student teachers to help their kids. In time to come, we could probably do the same.

Greene King 10 yrs ago
Sent my kids to local kindergarten (with some English). After kindergarten they went to a local tutor for 2 hours. Same thing in primary school, they are now multilingual. But admit we needed a FDH to handle the kindergarten to tutor (no family around us to assist). Neither of the parents speak Cantonese.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad