American International schools info???

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by agenta1 17 yrs ago
We are preparing to move from the USA to Hong Kong in the next 6 weeks and are having a really hard time finding out 'real' information about the schools there. Our first choice, because it is SO HIGHLY recommended is the HKIS, but they've already told us twice that they are at capacity and not accepting new students. Our second choice, by default, is the American Intl School. although we've heard basically nothing about it's reputation. I just read on an old thread that someone didn't think it was that great, but their experience there was almost 10 years old. Can anyone offer me more recent or another school alternative for my girls??

(Preschool, 1st grade and 7th grade.)

Thank you!!!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
ldsllvn 17 yrs ago
dear agenta, I am not much help I amfraid, but all i can say when mums (and dads!) here discuss good schools the American one never really came up... not sure why..

ltxhk 17 yrs ago
American International School (AIS) is more of a "local" school for HK-born kids, rather than an "international" school for expats AND local kids. You may not be very happy at AIS if you are seeking a more Western-style education with diverse nationalities. You would find the Canadian International School (located in Aberdeen) quite close to the USA curriculum; and it is a lot more diverse than AIS. The Canadian has a very strong Mandarin programme, but there are sets for new-comers and expats. You could also consider ESF schools which are originally based on the British curriculum but now follow a broad international approach. Kids can transfer in and out of the USA system easily from both Canadian and ESF. ESF (English Schools Foundation) is by district, and you apply to a school based on your location. On HK Island, Peak for primary usually has more spaces than the others; the complimentary secondary would be Island School (from Year 7).

patriciatu 17 yrs ago
ltxhk,

why would Peak primary has more space than others? How's its quality compare to other district's school such as Bradbury?

ltxhk 17 yrs ago
It has to do with with the demographics...... more primary age kids on the peak attend a wide range of private schools rather than just ESF. All ESF is by district, and so it depends on how many kids live in that district. Peak is a smaller school and does not have a special needs unit, but otherwise it offers the same as all the other ESF primary. Peak is actually preferred by many families ..... but you need to be in the catchment (which can easily be considered when re-locating).

patriciatu 17 yrs ago
I see. Do you why it is preferred by many familiies? Academic quality? I have friends whose children go to Kennedy school. The school offers a wide range of after school activities. Since Peak is a smaller school, does it offer the same range of activities?

ltxhk 17 yrs ago
Many expats like small, personal schools for primary. Teachers know ALL the kids, and the kids know the teachers; more close-knit. Due to the catchment area, the levels of English are very high ..... and many families prefer a more native environment (but potentially not as diverse). All ESF schools offer after school activities..... but of course a larger school may have a few more classes.

JJChan 17 yrs ago
It really does depend on what you are looking for. Peak is small, Kennedy is bigger, both are excellent schools. Level of English is very high in both schools there is no difference, however this may not be the case for all the schools Kowloon side with perhaps the exception of Clear Water Bay. Kennedy does offer an enormous amount of after school activities, and has the advantage of swimming lessons as part of the PE curriculum and the use of the Stanley Ho sports ground for their Games Lessons. Peak again has after school activities, maybe not as many but does have its own small sports field. I would suggest you have a look at both schools yourself and decide. Which ever one you choose you will be assured of an excellent acedemic education for your child.

patriciatu 17 yrs ago
Thanks JJChan. Will definitely take your advice and visit the schools. I heard the ESF schools are adopting PYP and looking to improve their mandarin curriculum. Is that true?

JJChan 17 yrs ago
ESF Primary will begin to go with PYP over the next few years and ESF High Schools are now participating in IB at post 16. ESF have now recruited a Head of Chinese based at their Head Office and I understand he was Head of Chinese at CIS, a very impressive chap. They have recently began a pilot scheme and introduced a Mandarin Programme in four primary schools which now have a forty minute Mandarin lesson four or maybe five days a week. This is something they hope to roll out to all schools.

agenta1 17 yrs ago
does anyone know anything about the hong kong academy??

NewbieinHK 17 yrs ago
I would say very much a mixed bag. Had a friend who thought it was great and one who swiftly moved their child out. Small classes and some one please correct me if i'm wrong, but it does only go up to P/P7 with the intention of a secondary school to follow. The shortage of places in good secondary schools in Hong Kong is dire with long waiting lists and it does not look as though the situation will change any time soon. My advice to you is to go with a school that has a combined primary/secondary or one that streams through to a secondary such as ESF. In regards to the facilities at Hong Kong Academy I would suggest you take a look, the building is very old and in relation to the school fees being charged you maybe in for a shock.

agenta1 17 yrs ago
Wow - that is all really great information and very helpful. After speaking with someone at HKA last night I learned that they do have an 8th grade this year and that they are still intending to expand to secondary but it doesn't seem they have an idea when yet. I wasn't aware of the streaming to secondary schools so that was very important to know. Still looking...

Yardie 17 yrs ago
Bradbury School (ESF primary) is as good as any of the others on the Island and will be the 'default' school if you live on the South Side or around Shouson Hill / Happy Valley.

It has a good mix of kids of all nationalities and prehaps a better reflection of HK's demographics than the rarified atmosphere of Peak School :).

All ESF schools are moving towards the IB programme and there is a major review / overhaul of Mandarin underway throughout the ESF.

Check out www.esf.edu.hk for more information. You can also contact them regarding vacancies as this is generally done centrally. ( There is a regular turnover of kids at the end of most terms with families leaving HK so you may be lucky to get places fairly quickly ).

I would be a bit wary of placing kids in a school that does not offer a 'through school' (secondary school) education. Places are now so tight that they can no longer rely on getting in to ESF secondary schools unless they were at an ESF primary school.

As someone mentioned above, try and visit the schools to get a feel for what you think would best suit your kids.

ltxhk 17 yrs ago
You should be able to find some threads on the HKA. Many expats are quite happy with the early years and primary programme through grade 5. Small class size (18 or under), child-centered approach, differentiated learning.... personal nature of the school. HOWEVER, for secondary, which in HK means middle-school and beyond (grade 6 and up)..... HKA really does not have the depth of experience or resources to measure up to the competition. The middle/ secondary school is mostly a holding-ground for kids trying to get a space into an established secondary school; it is under development and even the top kids find themselves behind in science, math and demanding projects when they transfer to HKIS or ESF schools. My child attended HKA until USA grade 6, and if to choose again we would transfer out after grade 5. In addition, it was very difficult to obtain an allocation at the ESF when we wanted to transfer; we waited more than one year.

For a primary child there are many, many strengths of HKA. Unfortunately, you will have much higher priority for ESF if one child receives an allocation in either primary or secondary. Then the second child will be bumped up the list as a "sibling" with priority.

It is true that Bradbury is a bit more diverse than the ESF Peak school. I suggested to consider the Peak due to the chance of getting an allocation is usually higher. HKIS is over-subscribed (on the south-side), and thus many south side residers are seeking spaces at Bradbury. The expat applications to Bradbury at this time are greater due to residential location of so many incoming expats. Many expats also live in the Peak district, but the incoming is proportionately less. If you consider the southside, note that somewhere near Tai Tam, the ESF primary school is actually Quarry Bay and not Bradbury.

hk2006tjg 11 yrs ago
These posts are very outdated 2000 days ago. American International School offers a family friendly and small community for students to attend and receive an outstanding education. Their primary school is moving to the common core standards and their high school uses the rigorous carnegie credit system. Students and parents appreciate and highly value the healthy, welcoming and strong character development across the school. Graduation rates and university matriculation to the best and brightest universities in the USA is nearly 100% with students remaining connected to the school and each other long after they leave. AIS is a fairly new school with a brand new Elementary campus. Principals, administrators and teachers are personable, caring and effective. Give them a call for a campus tour and interview today.

AEasiaxpat 11 yrs ago
Any current AIS students/parents can share their experience? Good or bad with specifics will be very helpful.

It's very hard to find discussion on AIS and I can't understand why.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad